Thread: 10 fcp-sr

FORVOLS

10 fcp-sr

Hello,

I have on order (may get it tomorrow) a Savage FCP-SR/308 and have a Vortex Viper HS-T 4X16-44 / Leupold rings to put on it.

My question is regarding the factory rail on SR is it substandard? Through reading I notice alot of recommendations to replace or alot of ppl that do replace the factory rail.

Thanks
    Tony

Basic Member
    Depends on the kind of shooting you're going to be doing. If you're not going to be shooting long range, I would stick with the rail that the rifle comes with. I would only replace the rail if it's not a 20 moa rail and I needed more elevation to get shoot longer.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Steve Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    Depends on the kind of shooting you're going to be doing. If you're not going to be shooting long range, I would stick with the rail that the rifle comes with. I would only replace the rail if it's not a 20 moa rail and I needed more elevation to get shoot longer.
    I have the same rifle, and the factory rail is a EGW 0 MOA.
    Good enough piece, but I put a 20 MOA on mine to run out to 1200 yards.

Sounds like you have a nicer scope going on yours, mine is a Viper 6.5-20X50 PA
    Last edited by Steve Williams; 12-05-2013 at 08:31 PM.

FORVOLS
    Its a factory 20 moa rail...but I got medium mounts it maybe a little tall. Will have to mount it and see how comfortable it is.

Most of my shooting will be under 800yds, most likely in the 300-600yd range.

Tony

Basic Member
    I thought mine was a 20 moa rail. It wasn't so I had to replace it.

Steve Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I thought mine was a 20 moa rail. It wasn't so I had to replace it.
    I was told or read somewhere, they came with 20 MOA bases, but when I bought mine and talked to others, I found they indeed ship with 0 MOA bases.

Maybe yours will be different FORVOLS, but all I have seen to date were 0 MOA.

jough
    Interesting. Everything I've read said they come with a 20 MOA base, which is made by EGW.
    I just eyeballed mine and it looks like the rail is level with the action, not slanted like a 20 MOA base would be.

FORVOLS
    20MOA rail is what is listed on the Savage website. Guess I will see when I pick it up.

Basic Member
    It wasn't really a big deal because my scope had plenty of travel. I just changed for the "cool" factor and almost 6 more mils.

jough
    My scope (SWFA 5-20X50HD) also has plenty of elevation travel. I admit that after mounting a scope and going to the range for initial sight-in, it was already on paper. If the rail was really 20MOA, it should have been very high at first, correct?

Steve Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by FORVOLS View Post
    Hello,

I have on order (may get it tomorrow) a Savage FCP-SR/308 and have a Vortex Viper HS-T 4X16-44 / Leupold rings to put on it.

My question is regarding the factory rail on SR is it substandard? Through reading I notice alot of recommendations to replace or alot of ppl that do replace the factory rail.

Thanks
    Tony
    Were you able to pick up the rifle ?
    Kinda curious to see what MOA base you have.

Shot with some folks over the weekend with FCP-SR's, one
    came with 20 MOA, the other came with a 0 MOA like mine.

The one that came with 20 MOA was purchased early this year, while mine and
    the other 0 MOA based rifle were purchased this summer or later.

FORVOLS
    Steve,Wasnt in on FRI and I was busy on SAT. I will call my LGS later today for a status...Interesting about the base and I have to retract my previous post..the Savage website indicates it comes with a "1 piece scope rail" no defining info as to a 20MOA or 0MOA rail...Gun reviews that I have read said it comes with a 20MOA rail...so guess the best answer is when I get it I will know then..Tony

FORVOLS
    I picked up the FCP-SR..It has a 0 MOA base...I going to fieldstrip, clean and try to get some lead down range next week.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.