Thread: A Little Stevens 200

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

A Little Stevens 200

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone here for all of their knowledge, help and advice on this project. It's been a hoot, and you guys made it a hell of a lot easier, and a lot more fun.

This gun started as a Stevens 200 SA in .308. It came in a laminate stock with a RifleBasix trigger

All in all, a decent gun, but not what I wanted.

This is more like it

CBI Light Varmint 1:10 twist .308, cut and crowned to 16.5"
    NSS lug and barrel nut
    RifleBasix trigger
    CDI bottom metal
    EGW scope rail (mounted backwards so I don't have to take it off to spin the barrel nut)
    Leupold QD rings (low)
    Burris MTAC 1-4x24 Illuminated
    Manners EH4 with pillars

I got the rifle in late Feb 2013, and while trying to decide on a stock, came upon a Manners Group buy on Snipershide. After a long wait, I finally got the stock back from Manners about a month ago, my fault as I neglected to inform them about the thicker recoil lug. Tom Manners fixed it himself and shipped it back. The stock is amazing! I've fondled lots of custom stocks, but this is a cut above. The folks at Manners are top notch, and will likely be the reason I end up living in a cardboard box with a lot a really pretty guns.

As this is supposed to be a ~400 yard hunting gun, I thought I would try out a lower powered variable scope. I figured that if it didn't work on this gun, I'd put it on my AR-15.

Blah, blah, blah, this is what it can do

Remington 165gr Accutip BT
    The reason there are only four shots in the group is that as I was touching the fifth round off, a piece of brass from the next bench over went right down my shirt collar! I kept the shot on paper, but didn't measure it as part of the grouping.

The MTAC works just as I had hoped, with the reticle allowing me to ring steel out to 400yds without a lot of fuss.

Blast is a bit abrupt, nothing brutal, but I'm probably going to put a brake on it, and then finish it off with some color, and a 6 or 6.5mm barrel is probably not too far into the future.

Now, do I do a .223 chassis build with another Savage, or try my hand at a Tikka?

Much peace
    Jimmy
    Last edited by jbjh; 12-14-2013 at 02:32 AM.