Here's a summary of the improved version of a 7mm-300 Win Mag I drew up for my first custom rifle build. I named it the 7mm Valkyrie after both the buxom blonde "chooser of the slain" from Norse mythology and after the incredible XB-70 Valkyrie bomber from the 1960s.

I chose the Savage 110 due to the barrel nut and floating bolt head. Both of these features make for a very home gunsmith-friendly build. I managed to keep the total cost below $1500 for the whole rig. As a result, some of the parts are not cream-of-the-crop but I believe they will serve me perfectly well for now.

First shots are shown at the bottom! These five were touched off on Sunday 12/8 and were only the 11th through 15th shots ever fired from the rifle. Yes, that is two bullets that formed a single nearly concentric hole. My goal is to find a FAST 1/2 MOA load at 100 yds and then move out to longer distances. I have several different powders and bullets to try so it may take a couple of hundred shots before I reach that point.

All in all, I am very pleased with how it's turned out thus far.