I have a 110, 30-06 that I am planning on upgrading. During all my planning I have contemplated re-barreling to 270 Winchester. Searching the internet and reading people's opinions, it seems many people don't think the 270 is good for anything more than whitetail deer. And similar species. I decided to do my own research and found many first hand reports and articles about the 270 being used for larger game than deer, elk, moose, black bear, etc...

When compared to .308 bullets the .277 bullets have higher BC's and higher sectional density. The only difference being the bullet weights. I don't know of any manufacturers that make a .277 bullet heavier than 150 grains. In Sweden, people use 6.5x55 regularly for moose hunting, so why would the 270 be inadequate? I don't understand why us Americans are so convinced we need a super ultra magnum to hunt anything other than deer.

Why do people constantly make statements like , "I don't recommend it, but so and so went on a moose hunt with a 270 and killed a huge bull..." Those same people will declare the 30-06 adequate for the task. When I look at basic velocity/ft lbs tables the 270 normally carries the same or more velocity and energy than the '06, with a similarly weighted bullet with a higher BC and a much greater SD. Someone explain to me why people make these declarations. I don't have a dog in this fight as I own a 30-06, not a 270.