Thread: Article on .22-204

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    I did a bit of looking at case dimensions last night. It appears that the .22-204R is nothing more than a .222 Mag.

ron

Almost. A 222RM fire formed to 204R.

The 222RM's shoulder is moved forward to 30 degrees and the body taper reduced to .016", web to the top of the shoulder. The 204R is pretty much in the improved configuration as is.

I'm not sure what was changed in the improved version but in the spirit of weirdness...go for it!!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

n4ue
    Bill, thanks for the pix, it helps.....

So, if the .204R is a 20 cal .222 Mag 'Improved', I'm thinking that what I want is simply a .222 Mag AI. This way, I could use the .223 Rem bbls. All I might need, is the .222 Mag brass. I haven't checked, but I'll bet RCBS makes dies.
    I have a universal .22 CF neck die.

What do you think???

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Bill, thanks for the pix, it helps.....

So, if the .204R is a 20 cal .222 Mag 'Improved', I'm thinking that what I want is simply a .222 Mag AI. This way, I could use the .223 Rem bbls. All I might need, is the .222 Mag brass. I haven't checked, but I'll bet RCBS makes dies.
    I have a universal .22 CF neck die.

What do you think???

ron
    I gave up think'n when I retired 10 years ago!

The better 222RM certainly would be an option and an easy one to boot. Like any other "true" improved simply chamber and fire the parent.

CH4D has the 40 reamer if your too darn cheap to buy them like I am! http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...0&tname=rental

Dies? I can't say about the others, but Dave (CH4D) has/makes them as well as the 30 and 45 versions.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

n4ue
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I appreciate the non negative answers, and dcloco, THANKS for the thought about using the .223 AI reamer! Excellent!
    I was a little hesitant to buy the reamer, only because the ROI of the 22-204 didn't seem to be worth it. I have a bunch of 22 CFs.

I have a line on a 6.5 TCU bbl and may just go in that direction, since I have dies and bullets in that caliber. I was one of the first guys to buy a TC bbl (14") in 6.5 TCU when they first came out. Why? Because everyone was shooting 7 TCU...Just like being 'different'.. ha ha

thanks again.......

ron