chops,
I will try to give you a bit more to think on here. I won't try to get all of the technical terms correct, but you will understand what I am getting at I hope.
You will have to accept that you are working within the limitations of the equipment that you have, that scope is a low end scope and as such has limitations.
A scope such as that package scope has a preset "objective" focus, probably somewhere between 25 and 50 yards. From that range out farther when you change the magnification, it stays pretty much in focus. But when you get closer and increase the magnification it creates distortion (for lack of a better term). Without the ability to adjust that objective focus your view will not clear up. That package scope does not have an AO (Adjustable Objective), hence you won't be able to adjust that. Anything out on the objective end of that scope is not meant for you to turn! Lol!
The ring that you are looking at on the eyepiece (Ocular Lens), is adjustable... in layman's terms, you can adjust it in and out and use it to adjust the clarity and sharpness of the cross hairs as you view them through the reticle.
I personally would just drop the magnification back down to the low end to shoot that combo at 25 yards.
Truthfully, Walmart Tasco or Bushnell scopes are better scopes than what you currently have. I certainly understand a budget minded fellow that is trying to balance new optics vs more ammunition, multi $100 scopes are not in everyones budget.
Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck!