All,

I bought the Savage XP trophy hunter in .308 Win as a base platform for a good hunting/precision rifle. I have a fair amount of .308 and am set up to reload for it so I chose the Savage as my .308 bolt gun. it came with the Nikon prostaff 3-9 scope and was a very fair price. I love the weight of the rifle(although adding a pound two to the stock would not offend me) and the action is good and smooth. Over all I like the ergonomics and fit/finish of this rifle. The accutrigger is amazing.

My problem is that it is not getting good accuracy. I have tried bullets in 150, 168, and 180gr with factory and my hand loaded ammunition. One group will be sub MOA with the next at 3-4 inches. It is also quite sensitive to different ammunition.The POI shift a lot with diffferent ammo. Like up to 8 " left and right. Never had these issues with my Weatherby but maybe some rifles are just picky.

I want to try the scope on my AR and rule that out as an issue.

Other than that I think I need to start with the stock. It is pretty flimsy and I have been researching a new one. My first question is does anyone make an aftermarket stock that works with the bottom bolt release and the DBM? If not does anyone make aftermarket bottom metal or do I have to get that from Savage?

Other than that can I stiffen the forearm of the existing stock so that it will not touch the barrel?

Any responses are appreciated, thx.