Thread: So, back from the ramge, rings not gripping scope well.

wlleven

So, back from the range, rings not gripping scope well.

After a few shots I notices my rings were slipping back on the scope. So I got home took them off and the contact was just in a few spots, no harm to the scope.

Soooooo I took some 10mil VHB 3M double face tape and put a bit between the scope and rings (upper and lower) to fill in any gaps or ? and to give it better grip. Well I had to rearrange the scope a few times and I can tell you that tape holds, no comparison between the way the mount held before the tape for sure. Going out tomorrow to see if she moves.

I think standard procedure is to put a card shim on the top and bottom ring and tighten her up. Some guys I used to know did this and their scopes never moved !

The rings were the rings that I bought with the Pilgrim Arms 4x16 scope I have, and yes they were buckled down tight before shooting today!

Like I said, I will give it a go tomorrow.

wll
    Last edited by wlleven; 11-11-2013 at 11:50 AM.

stangfish
    Hey buddy, why don't you give up on the Chinese rings and buy something round that you don't have to adopt unconventional means to make them work. They are tough to assemble but a pair of permanent Warne rings blow those away and are relatively inexpensive. Splurge and get the QD's. The Leopy's QD's are killer as well. Everyone around here loves the Burris deer gun rings with the plastic inserts, I love mine.

I understand budget and all but cheap has some drawbacks.

Have you ever heard of lapping your rings?

Basic Member
    +1 on the Burris signature rings.

thomae
    Truing and lapping your scope rings (unless they are Burris Signature Zee rings) will result in a better hold because the inside of the rings will truly be round and will grip your scope evenly. Yes, a little tape will help ,but it should be all the way around so you put even pressure on your scope tube all around. I have used one layer of electrical tape in the past and it has worked with some inexpens.

However, with the Burris Signature Zee rings, lapping and truing are not required.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Truing and lapping your scope rings (unless they are Burris Signature Zee rings) will result in a better hold because the inside of the rings will truly be round and will grip your scope evenly. Yes, a little tape will help ,but it should be all the way around so you put even pressure on your scope tube all around. I have used one layer of electrical tape in the past and it has worked with some inexpens.

However, with the Burris Signature Zee rings, lapping and truing are not required.
    Truing and lapping is the way to go, but I got lazy. We will see today, if I get slipping I will get some Burris Z rings.

wll

Hi wlleven- I started getting back into rifle shooting in a big way in late spring '13. I started using less expensive Weaver rings (Walmart specials, made in...ugh...China). To say the least they gave me fits. I got a used set of the Warne Maxima rings from an LGS and as Stang mentioned- they are a little weird (different) when mounting the scope but they hold VERY well and look cool IMO. THEN I got my 110 LA .223 circa 1991. WHAT a shooter...but at first gave me FITS! Came to find out that the holes in my receiver for the base were a 'wee bit off; that translated into a BIG problem when going to sight in the scope. The good folks here started chanting "Burris Signature Zee" and I became mezmoorized- bought a pair at Cabelas and ordered a set of the offset inserts. Mechanically got the scope and tube aligned to where I only had to dial in about 4" of correction between elevation and windage. AND- they hold like the grip of death with only 17 lbs. of torque. NO scope marks, no scope damage etc. Seriously, I will eventually replace my other two rifles with Sig z's and in my new Hog Hunter (are you familiar with the Hog Hunter? ) It will be Sig. Z's again. Why other ring manufacturers haven't copied or adapted something like this I haven't a clue- but they are the cat's whiskers as far as I'm concerned. JMHO.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    Hi wlleven- I started getting back into rifle shooting in a big way in late spring '13. I started using less expensive Weaver rings (Walmart specials, made in...ugh...China). To say the least they gave me fits. I got a used set of the Warne Maxima rings from an LGS and as Stang mentioned- they are a little weird (different) when mounting the scope but they hold VERY well and look cool IMO. THEN I got my 110 LA .223 circa 1991. WHAT a shooter...but at first gave me FITS! Came to find out that the holes in my receiver for the base were a 'wee bit off; that translated into a BIG problem when going to sight in the scope. The good folks here started chanting "Burris Signature Zee" and I became mezmoorized- bought a pair at Cabelas and ordered a set of the offset inserts. Mechanically got the scope and tube aligned to where I only had to dial in about 4" of correction between elevation and windage. AND- they hold like the grip of death with only 17 lbs. of torque. NO scope marks, no scope damage etc. Seriously, I will eventually replace my other two rifles with Sig z's and in my new Hog Hunter (are you familiar with the Hog Hunter? ) It will be Sig. Z's again. Why other ring manufacturers haven't copied or adapted something like this I haven't a clue- but they are the cat's whiskers as far as I'm concerned. JMHO.

Brian
    Brian,

We will see how well my "fix" works today, if it is not up to snuff than Z rings are my next bet.

wll

Basic Member
    I've had the Signature Zee rings slip too on a heavy kicker even when properly torqued. A little alcohol on the scope tube and inserts to get them completely dry and then a thin coating of powdered resin on the inserts and they no longer slip.

Basic Member
    I have been using small strips of felt cut to fit inside of the rings for years, it will take out any out of round that any of our "good rings" may have as well as most china junk. I never need to torque the rings past 10-15 in. pounds even if they are $5 rings from cdnn.
    Yes i am sure that i will find some that just need to be thrown away.

thomae
    More than one way to skin a cat (or mount a scope). Your fix is just as good as my fix since it works. Thanks for sharing.

sortafast
    +! for the Warne rings. got a few pair of them. Good rings from a good company, and made here in the US (about 18miles from my house). Some of the chinese rings are OK, but their QC is lack luster. Buy once, cry once, but you will probably never regret it.

wlleven

Yahoo, Back From Range !

Well after putting VHB double sided tape on the upper and lower rings, both front and rear, tightening them up, I went out shooting this AM.

Since I don't have a target stand made yet I took out the bolt and eyeballed it, but was never there. One of the range members had a extra target stand that he loand me and it was uphill from there. The first shot was about 3 inches low and 3 inches to the right at 50 yds. I set her up and adjusted the scope using the one shot method, next shot - bulls eye and the following shot on top of the second about .3 CTC ..... all gongs and targets after that were DRT ;- )

And as for the scope .... it did not budge at all, I think my ring/scope problem is over !

wll