Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Powder to push 175gr SMK for 308?

Basic Member

What Powder to push 175gr SMK for 308?

Just doing a little research as I intend to start reloading on the low end first. Think I'm going to pick up the $27 Lee Classic reloading kit on midway to play with some hand loads before investing in a table top setup.

I had good luck with the ASYM match ammo loaded with the 175 SMKs so I figured I'd start with them. They were very consistent out to the max distance (890yds) offer at the local range I go to.

I see you can adjust seating depth, but I'm not sure how it measures the powder other than one level scoop.

Anyone use this set?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 11-09-2013 at 10:01 PM.

kdvarmint
    What powder? Many, Many, including myself do very well in 308 with Varget.

A word of advice for a beginner reloader.........Before you start spending money, ask yourself,.........Am I serious about reloading? If yes, then be smart and buy the "Best quality equipment that you can afford" Even if you have to "stretch a little", it will be cheaper down the road over buying twice. How do I know???? Yeah, you can figure.

If you want quality, "consistent", again, "consistent", ammo. I doubt you'll get it with the system in the video. (To put it mildly)

Let us know your intended application, and what your expectations are. I'm sure you will get good advise here.

kd.

Basic Member
    looking to get a good consistent load for work in between 0-1000.

I have only used factory ammo in my rifle to date:

Atomic Nosler Custom Comp. 168gr BTHP - Sub Half inch groups @ 100yds - loses consistency passed 650yds
    Nosler Custom Comps 168gr BTHP - Sub Half inch groups @ 100yds- loses consistency passed 650yds
    Hornady Match 168gr BTHP - Sub Half inch groups @ 100yds- loses consistency passed 650yds
    FGMM 175gr - Sub Half inch groups @ 100yds - didn't test them at range as I was given 4 to see how they worked in my rifle.
    ASYM Match ammo 175gr SMK - Sub half inch @ 100yds - zeroed in on the 890yds gong and went 8 for 8 with an obvious group on the plate.

Looking to get loads up to the same level as the ASYM factory loads. I shoot long range (890yds max at the local range) steel matches for now and will be looking into other work down the road.

Was thinking about doing the kit above with a Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

I would really only be doing small batches as the comps are only 40 rounds and the 308 is probably all I'll own for awhile. This kit would also be good as I could reload at the range on the spot if I wanted to.

I like varget for the 168s/175 smks....how much will be determined by your rifle after load testing.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Was thinking about doing the kit above with a Lee Perfect Powder Measure.
    If you're that tight on a budget, I'd suggest skipping the Lee powder measure and buy a good scale. Powder measures can be good or bad. It depends on the powder being used. For example, I get my best 308 results with Varget, but it doesn't meter worth squat. MR2000 meters very consistent from a powder measure, but shoots like poop in my rifle. You can use a scale accurately and consistently with any powder.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

kdvarmint
    I read that 168's loose stability beyond 600yds. Fact? you decide. I did a little better with 155smks over the 175s but the 175s do well for many. I got away from 168 for the same reason your experiencing.

I share your passion for 1000yd shooting. I regularly shoot 500yd matches, and have shot in one 1000yd silhouette match.

Looking at your profile, and some of your post, leads me to ask 2 questions. Would you expect good results building a rifle with the lowest cost methods, and parts available? Or good results trying to shoot 1000yds with optics made by Tasco bought off the rack at Wal Mart?

Reloading for the accuracy you require is like shooting at the ranges your shooting. It takes quality equipment,(think about what went into your builds) and a skilled reloader. (think about the skill level of the group of shooters you include yourself with at the range)

Not that you can't do it cheap, and unskilled, but will you be successful?

Do you have someone you know, or one of the guys you've met at one of your matches who hand loads that you could ask advise? Most I've known in this sport are willing to bend over backwards to share and show what they know, especially to a beginner. There is a big difference between the guy who is only loading for 2 week deer season or to save money. Folks like us on the other hand aren't really called "reloaders", we are "hand loaders". The goal is consistent accuracy. If you cannot afford the equipment necessary, You'll be further ahead to continue to buy quality loaded ammo. Nothing wrong with that.

My advise, at least start with something like this, I doubt you'll regret it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tage-press-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749...tage-press-kit

I started with the Hornady and still use the press.
    The RCBS is more popular I believe.

Ask and research what the folks are using to do what you are trying to do. Anyone can reload, but not anyone is doing what you're doing.
    Hope this is helpful, I'm trying not to go on and on.

kd

Basic Member
    For 175SMK I started with Varget and got good results to 1000 yd, but it developed pressure problems when the weather started to warm up; and this is supposed to be a less temperature sensitive powder. Due to the supply crunch I switched to RL15 (I have been told this is what is used for Fed Match); based on Quick Load results it also should give the same velocity with less max pressure. It has shot fine to 1000 as well. To get your desired results from loading, esp for 1000 yd, you will need to measure within 0.1 grain powder to develop and maintain a decent load. The Lee Perfect Powder measure at $29 works great, and you will also need a decent balance beam to weigh and trickle powder to the 0.1 gr. If you do a little research you will find this degree of accuracy is essential, not to mention the safety aspects.

Using weight, I never could make MOA at 1,000 yards. Since flipping the bird to scales and only using my PPM I can easily do it. I've recently made the 5-shots at a mile club.
    My favorite powder for the 175SMK at distance is Win 748, but have recently been happy with tests using CFE. Just loaded another 600 rounds the other day, used 748.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

175 Berger's or SMK's kissing or off the lands up to .005 with 42.5 Varget, CCI LR primers seem to do the trick for me. 10 twist.

ALWAYS START LOW AND WORK UP TO 42.5.

Believe it or not, 190 VLD's .005 off the lands works pretty good as well.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

ASYM Match ammo 175gr SMK - Sub half inch @ 100yds - zeroed in on the 890yds gong and went 8 for 8 with an obvious group on the plate.
    42.5 RL15 w/Fed primers, coal set as per Lyman's reloading book should do the trick, 175 BTHP smk's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    42.5 RL15 w/Fed primers, coal set as per Lyman's reloading book should do the trick, 175 BTHP smk's.
    Thank you sir!

stangfish
    Lone wolf. You have a pm coming in a few seconds.

Team Savage
    I settled for some Winchester 760 due to availability. I'm still working up a good load for my Nosler Custom Competition 175 grain hpbt match bullets, but 46 grains of W760 is a nice starting point.

I'm shooting a Model 11 Hog Hunter with a 10" twist.

Quote Originally Posted by mag41vance View Post
    I saw one load using 46.0 grains of Varget with 175's on this site.

I have used 44.9 grns with 155's but have never used over 43.5 with any other bullets. On every 308 I have pressure signs start showing around 43.6 grns.

43.9 is where I stopped on anything over 155's

I've had good results with IMR 4064 for my heftier (150<) 308 loads--it has the advantage that you can actually find it in some stores--unlike varget or RL15. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

mag41vance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I saw one load using 46.0 grains of Varget with 175's on this site.

I have used 44.9 grns with 155's but have never used over 43.5 with any other bullets. On every 308 I have pressure signs start showing around 43.6 grns.

43.9 is where I stopped on anything over 155's
    My Pet Load for my Sniper Platform is 155 Nosler CC, Lapua brass ,CCIbr2, 46gr Varget touching the lands.
    shoots .850" @ 200yds

Basic Member
    Varget is still too hard to find. I've gone completely to Alliant's Power Pro MR2000. It is consistently 80-120 FPS faster than Varget and even RE15. It's a couple of bucks cheaper a lb and easier to find...at least for me. In .308, 22-250 and 5.56 it has done everything for me Varget has done. My .308 load is 47g of MR2000 under the 175g SMK or 178Amax with a CCI primer in Lapua or LC brass. I'm getting 2600 out of my 20" barrels and 2750 out of my 26. Sub MOA all the way out to 1K.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleshooter308 View Post
    Varget is still too hard to find. I've gone completely to Alliant's Power Pro MR2000. It is consistently 80-120 FPS faster than Varget and even RE15. It's a couple of bucks cheaper a lb and easier to find...at least for me. In .308, 22-250 and 5.56 it has done everything for me Varget has done. My .308 load is 47g of MR2000 under the 175g SMK or 178Amax with a CCI primer in Lapua or LC brass. I'm getting 2600 out of my 20" barrels and 2750 out of my 26. Sub MOA all the way out to 1K.
    This is good info. Any pressure signs coming from that hot of a load?

Basic Member
    None. I think I could go several more but there is no need to. 47 is the max load on the Alliant site and you know how conservative they are. I did my work up from 45 to 48 with 47 being the most accurate in my 26. It does will in my 20 so this is what I went with although 46 was a bit more accurate in the shorter barrel. You would think it is hot due to the volume but it's really not. PP is a flattened scherical ball powder. 47g is about 97% case volume with the 175SMK. You can go to 49 before any kind of compression. Your typical 45g Varget load has so much air volume due to the kernals. On another note I have found no temp sensitivity to worried about...at least from 30 degrees to 90 degrees. About 1fps per degree on my Magnetospeed.

2000MR loves it in the hot side. I use it too with my 175gr SMK, with Lapua cases.

My load is 47.5gr under 175grvSMK, Lapua case, and CCI250.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleshooter308 View Post
    None. I think I could go several more but there is no need to. 47 is the max load on the Alliant site and you know how conservative they are. I did my work up from 45 to 48 with 47 being the most accurate in my 26. It does will in my 20 so this is what I went with although 46 was a bit more accurate in the shorter barrel. You would think it is hot due to the volume but it's really not. PP is a flattened scherical ball powder. 47g is about 97% case volume with the 175SMK. You can go to 49 before any kind of compression. Your typical 45g Varget load has so much air volume due to the kernals. On another note I have found no temp sensitivity to worried about...at least from 30 degrees to 90 degrees. About 1fps per degree on my Magnetospeed.
    In one of my manuals, I show a max of 47.7 for 2000MR for the 175gr. That's why I worked up to 47.5. It was by far my best load.

What Powder to push 175gr SMK for 308?

The way I understand it is that every gun has it's own "magic" recipe. You just need to start playing around with powders and all the other factors and see what's best for you. Don't go cheap on your reloading equipment. Go with the best stuff that fits ur budget. Varget works extremely well for me in my .308 and it is also very hard to get in my area so I'm thinking that it works well for a lot of people.
    Last edited by pbracken556; 11-30-2013 at 11:13 PM.

My #1 powder for .308 Win is RL-15 (30" CBI barrel). Varget is #2, and I recently picked up some CFE that I'd like to try.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

beartooth91
    LoneWolf,

Let me explain, in detail, just how bad the Lee stuff is:
    1. I started with an older Ohaus powder scale, when I got back into the hobby, three years ago. Had accuracy problems with the scale. I bought the Lee scale, several months ago and its as good as the RCBS 5-05 and 10-10 scales, I used years ago.
    2. Again, I started with an older Lyman powder measure. Is as good as any other powder measure. Then, I bought the Lee dipper kit. If I'm loading a charge, which corresponds to one of the dippers, say 2.8 cc, its faster - way faster - for me than using a measure. There's a technique to it - with a business card or similar - and I can get it dead on 4 out of 5 times. Now, I weigh every charge since my goal is precision accuracy. When using a measure; I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. As with the dippers - the measure numbers are calibrated in cc's.....which gives you a built in way of self-checking your powder scale's accuracy (knowing what X cc corresponds to Y grns).
    3. I also used to use the Lee Collet Dies, which are excellent if you want to neck size. After various measurements and experimentation I've gone to FL sizing and have settled on Forster and/or Redding dies.
    4. My priming tool is the Lee primer.

So, stay away from the Lee stuff, its junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast