Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High cost of shooting, what are you doing?

ShawneeB

Yup, wallys world can sell Axis on sales, Xmas for a good bit less than I could ever buy one. Normally a package axis would cost someone $6 more from me. But when they are another 20% off? I can't blame people for buying there! Pubs like shotgun news didn't help storefront gunshops much either. I have wholesalers won't disclose prices to the public but SGN does. So if someone wants to order a gun from a rag or internet store what does a dealer get? A transfer fee of $25. Oh yea, and a mess of paperwork with many different local and federal agencies, calls, visit, wait for UPS, visits from ATF. Do I make anything? Heck no, I lose money! Buttt.

Do I care? Yes I care!! I love arming the public, talking with them, see and make them happy, order them things like from Numrich/GPC or Sarco they could order themselves and charge no extra cause they like being taken care of with no worry of ordering the wrong part. Can I make money? Occasionally I spot a particular rifle at a gun show, buy it and make some bucks. Gunsmithing is labor and parts, I got plenty of time to work on guns. Used to be an 07mfg and class 2 sot. Before ATF tightened up AGAIN on imports I made decent bucks making AK and FnFals, building AR, 1911's. Decent bucks to be made on cans but talk about a process and time involved!

Th gunshops will be missed. Yes the coffee, goodies someone brought wife baked or a dozen donuts, all the talk, laughter, bull, meet new people, network and find events. You'll find a shooting event sign, training class, hunt in a gunshop, not downtown in the antis windows. Many times I toss in a box of ammo. There's usually the $5-10 table with old stock, holsters, whatnot. Yea they will be missed. Wonder if some of the younger people even experienced the old gunstores, the ones with 100 handguns, 3 walls of rifles mostly used and always one you seem to need that day :)

That hazmat's tough. Got to get primers, powder of all kinds to make a good order and make it worth it! I keep checking with distribs, some I call daily for 22 ammo. They told me to. Once in a while I luck out and "ya'll" luck out. Last was a 10 case 350 boxes federal, made some locals happy.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Belated thanks for the heads up. As of late, I use the Sebastian / Indian River Co. range for scope set up, rifle set up or if I just need a day of hanging out with other guys & shooting or talking guns. Sometimes we all stand in a half circle & solve world issues, too. For real applications and longer range shooting we've been going to our 400 acre swamp in Osceola Co. The power lines along the west prop line is where I made our 600yd shooting area. I'd like to cut in a longer section but I need to verify the prop line location first. I'm not 100% sure where ours ends & theirs begins.
    Nice & quiet (until the shooting starts). No cell signal. Hogs running rampant.
    It helps rejuvenate to soul.
    Sounds like fun to me. If you are anywhere near Lakeland I would be willing help reduce that hog population. Got a cousin that will find out he is the new owner of a savage this christmas that loves to hunt with me as well. Pretty hard to find "ANY" private land to hunt on here in Florida.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Sounds like fun to me. If you are anywhere near Lakeland I would be willing help reduce that hog population. Got a cousin that will find out he is the new owner of a savage this christmas that loves to hunt with me as well. Pretty hard to find "ANY" private land to hunt on here in Florida.
    Can't find any private land in Florida to hunt? Stop looking in Tampa, Orlando, Miami....

We're in the area called Wolf Creek. It was an old stage coach stop over between Orlando & Melbourne until the old hotel burned down in the early 1900's. My wife's family are some of the original merchant / settlers of Melbourne. Her grandpappy picked up a few hundred acres back in the early 60's in Osceola Co. - Just north of Deseret Ranch.
    So you see, there are substantial benefits to marrying a Florida redneck.
    It took 2 years to teach her how to walk in shoes, but good folks.

Next, we're working on teaching her how to spit tobacco juice out the truck window without hitting the mirror.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Rupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawneeB View Post
    Yup, wallys world can sell Axis on sales, Xmas for a good bit less than I could ever buy one. Normally a package axis would cost someone $6 more from me. But when they are another 20% off? I can't blame people for buying there! Pubs like shotgun news didn't help storefront gunshops much either. I have wholesalers won't disclose prices to the public but SGN does. So if someone wants to order a gun from a rag or internet store what does a dealer get? A transfer fee of $25. Oh yea, and a mess of paperwork with many different local and federal agencies, calls, visit, wait for UPS, visits from ATF. Do I make anything? Heck no, I lose money! Buttt.

Do I care? Yes I care!! I love arming the public, talking with them, see and make them happy, order them things like from Numrich/GPC or Sarco they could order themselves and charge no extra cause they like being taken care of with no worry of ordering the wrong part. Can I make money? Occasionally I spot a particular rifle at a gun show, buy it and make some bucks. Gunsmithing is labor and parts, I got plenty of time to work on guns. Used to be an 07mfg and class 2 sot. Before ATF tightened up AGAIN on imports I made decent bucks making AK and FnFals, building AR, 1911's. Decent bucks to be made on cans but talk about a process and time involved!

Th gunshops will be missed. Yes the coffee, goodies someone brought wife baked or a dozen donuts, all the talk, laughter, bull, meet new people, network and find events. You'll find a shooting event sign, training class, hunt in a gunshop, not downtown in the antis windows. Many times I toss in a box of ammo. There's usually the $5-10 table with old stock, holsters, whatnot. Yea they will be missed. Wonder if some of the younger people even experienced the old gunstores, the ones with 100 handguns, 3 walls of rifles mostly used and always one you seem to need that day :)

That hazmat's tough. Got to get primers, powder of all kinds to make a good order and make it worth it! I keep checking with distribs, some I call daily for 22 ammo. They told me to. Once in a while I luck out and "ya'll" luck out. Last was a 10 case 350 boxes federal, made some locals happy.
    Oh Hum Bug, It would sure be nice to get back to those days! Just isn't going to happen.
    I live in the perfect place for a good ol' gun shop, but with only a 1000 people living in the area it would be pretty hard to make enough to pay for it's self. I have thought about running one out of the house, (once it's finished being built that is), but I just don't think it would be worth the paperwork for the state and feds. atf etc. It would sure be nice if one of the business in town would rent out a large.corner of theor store for a gunshop. I bet that would be a real pain in the neck.
    So I'm thinking you should move your shop here! Hahaha
    Just a thought. I don't know maybe a gun shop would work here. Like I said the closed one is 80 miles away and he also sales booze and his prices are way high. He's also trying to sale .22lr for $100.oo a brick of 500.
    With all the ranches and small towns around who knows, maybe it would be worth it. ???
    Yep, dreamin' is fun! lol
    I hope you are able to continue to keep your doors open and stay busy.
    Your community needs you!

Rupe

ShawneeB
    Rupe, lived in WA 20 years, rainy side. I do like Oregon better than WA but love KY!

It's a small town here too, 1700people. One has a small store front on his land, a shack with a ship container for his safe, another out his home. Couple more in 20 mi radius all home based. I have to drive 60mi one way just to get to a town with a couple shops, pawn etc. I would do much better with a small storefront and have talked to the county about doing it. Not a problem. Not a big one, 16 x 20 would work and enough room for a coffee pot too. I'd get more business I'm sure. Thank you, I'm trying, always here for people. They know too, nights and Sundays are popular and I don't care.

$100 a brick! I sold a few bricks $35 a brick recently, sold out of those,, Eley with the rabbit on them. Sold some 350 pks $28 I saw wallys old 550 packs on GB for $90 minus shipping.

If you really want to do a shop, go for it. It's not so bad that it doesn't over ride the joy or arming the public, getting someone their first fun in which case I waive the transfer if they order. No transfer fee on instock guns of course. Small towns like small business and here it's pretty simple. No employees, small B&O once a year, I can do my own taxes and ATF is not as bad as it sounds it can be. I've always had pleasant agents, just have every single I dotted and T crossed, and don't agitate them or play smart and no probs ever. Even had 2 ladie ATF agents once and we played with switchblades for 3 hrs and drank coffee!

Rupe
    Shawnee, I lived up in Washington for 13 years, Whidbey Is. and then Bellingham. Where did you live?
    O finally made it to the dry side of Oregon. Took me 40 years to get back over on this side. Now I am.staying and they will have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me over the mountains again. I love it here. We live 20 out of Christmas Valley. Nearest neighbor is about 1.5 miles away.
    That would be the big problem of running a shop out of my home. It takes a 4x4 to get to our place on the winter. Until.the house is done we are living in a 10'x20' cabin no plumbing, no electricity, just a little solar panel to charge a couple of 6v batteries for lights. We use our phones to get on line. So running a.gun shop wouldn't work to well. The house won't be done for another year, then it's on to a 30x40 shop. I'm retired and I don't know if I want to tie myself down with a gun shop. I think about it and it wouldn't be.to bad and it could be fun, but would I really want that? I don't know, I'll keep thinking about it. My wife would have to have a say in it and she would probably be fine with it except for being tied down to where we can't jump into the Jeep and take off anytime we want. This retired stuff is pretty cool after working my whole life. Not having to live by the clock is great!
    Rupe

ShawneeB
    I lived Belfair, Tahuya, some in Bummerton and Port Orchard. PSNS 6 years. Licensed General Contractor. Also did oil burners all over the place. Braindamage island alot. Been on Widbey plenty times. Base paintball team used to visit us in Sequim, "Slug Deth" team. They invited our team to play on their field on Widbey, kicked their butts 11 for 11! Had no clue as to our warped maniac tactics Blitz charged em a couple times, they stood there mouths open, didn't even fire back and we painted their faces good.

Heck, your living right. Forget the business hassles and enjoy! There's an old FFL buddy had a gun shop in Brem moved dry side, half way in the state. I forget where. Glen but forgot his last name. Could be a neighbor!

Rupe
    Yes I do feel blessed living out here. Now you know why I am standing on that fence. Why ruin a perfectly good adventure to start a shop? And it is an adventure almost every day out here. I am pretty sure I won't do it but you never lnow when that wild hair will spring out and say do it. hajaja

Rupe
    Oops, Shawnee I think we hi jacked this thread. PM me anytime your in the mood to chat.
    Rupe

ShawneeB
    Rupe, Ah heck, it's off topic forum. We supposed to go off topic right Yep, PM is good!

Rupe
    ShawneeB that's true we are for sure off topic.
    Rupe

ShawneeB
    Fixed that and sent a PM, I think, first time I tried.

Rupe
    and I got it too! :-)

ShawneeB
    Success

Rupe
    Atta boy!

ShawneeB
    Fixed the high cost of shooting too, a little bit. Found a couple pounds IMR powder, some 243 bullets Hornady vmax 58gr, some Berger 95 vld match, Berger 68gr.

I thought of another way to help the high cost of shooting specially 22's cause so fun to rip em. Lock the semis away, use a bolt, single shot!

davemuzz
    If you really want to spend time at the range, and keep your cost low…..bring your flint lock. Hey…..ten minutes to load, 7 try's to get the pan to smoke….three times to get the charge to actually fire, and then start all over again. In 4 or five hours, you got maybe 12 shots off.

Now…..talk about low cost per hour!!! Just saying……

Dave

Rupe
    That's way tomuch work Dave, I think I'll try Shawnee's way first. LOL
    Rupe

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    If you really want to spend time at the range, and keep your cost low…..bring your flint lock. Hey…..ten minutes to load, 7 try's to get the pan to smoke….three times to get the charge to actually fire, and then start all over again. In 4 or five hours, you got maybe 12 shots off.

Now…..talk about low cost per hour!!! Just saying……

Dave

Geeezzz, Dave.
    I'd rather throw rocks.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Rupe
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Geeezzz, Dave.
    I'd rather throw rocks.
    Now that is Funny!

Rupe

ShawneeB
    I do that Dave! Flintlocks are awesome. Building a TOTW Fusil de Chasse right now too. 62cal smooth colerain aka 20ga. Shoot a 28 single blackpowder for squirrel and rabbit. Converting my 50 Dixie TN to flint. I'll start an OT thread on "saving money with blackpowder flintlocks after buying close to $1000 in parts to do it and how to scrounge lead and buy 25# lots blackpowder and.... ) will that fit in a title? OK, hadn't posted pics yet and needed to try so here's a shot of the conversion and part of the fusil.

davemuzz
    Way cool stuff ShawneeB!!!

Rupe
    Ya that is pretty Cool, I tried PB hunting about 20 years ago. but it was with a cap lock and not a flint lock.
    I don't think I would like that poof so close to my eyes.
    Rupe

ShawneeB
    Thanks Dave and Rupe! I'll finish that fusil one of these days. Hard parts done, well mostly.

Rupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawneeB View Post
    Thanks Dave and Rupe! I'll finish that fusil one of these days. Hard parts done, well mostly.
    When you get it done we want pictures of the flinch from that flinch lock, I mean flint lock! haha :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast