Thread: EGW Bases

lwink

EGW Bases

Just curious if anyone knows the front height of the EGW 1 pc picatanny rail 20MOA elevated base for the savage short action? Or... how high of burris XTR rings I need to mount my 50mm bushnell 4200 scope. I was originally thinking meds (.5" high), but I'm thinking that if the elevated base is thicker I may be able to get away with the lows (.25").

Nitroused383

Re: EGW Bases

With the EGW bases your will want the lowest rings you can get. Atleast this holds true on my remington and savage. On my remington I use the egw 20 moa base with the burris signature 30mm medium rings (.190") high with a 6-24x50mm SIII scope and I still have atleast .200" of clearance with a heavy barrel. I originally tried the Burris xtr medium height rings and they sat ungodly high.

The Burris xtr rings are in a class of their own when it comes to measurements for height.Only real way to tell is go to their web site and look up the measurements. While there request a catalog and they will be printed along with the other ring heights for there brands.
    I don't think they really have a low in the xtr I think it is = to a medium, the med.is a xtra high and the high is like xxhigh.
    I made the mistake of assuming and was off by 2 sizes now I look up everything when I buy Burris rings,but for what its worth I think they make the best rings out there so it is worth the effort.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

EGW1

Quote Originally Posted by lwink
    Just curious if anyone knows the front height of the EGW 1 pc picatanny rail 20MOA elevated base for the savage short action? Or... how high of burris XTR rings I need to mount my 50mm bushnell 4200 scope. I was originally thinking meds (.5" high), but I'm thinking that if the elevated base is thicker I may be able to get away with the lows (.25").
    The Tactical rails are right around .400 tall at the front. The HD rails are at .350, we made them a little lower. they are made from 7075 so the material is a little stronger.

geo

dbranger94

Quote Originally Posted by EGW1

The Tactical rails are right around .400 tall at the front. The HD rails are at .350, we made them a little lower. they are made from 7075 so the material is a little stronger.

geo
    What are the heights of 0 MOA tactical rails?

Basic Member

I wish I had read this sooner! I have a EGW 20moa for both my Savage 12 6.5X284 Norma, and my Rem 700 .308. I have a Valdada IOR 4.5-14X40 in Burris XTR rings. I thought the mediums would work also, I can get my fingers between the bottom of the scope bell and the top of the varmint weight barrel!!!! I ordered XTR lows and a cheek rest from blackhawk, they arrive today, so hopefully it will work. I have to keep my cheek almost completely off the stock as it sits now. I had no idea the EGW base was so tall!!

Basic Member

The EGW base is pretty tall, but it turns out the Burris rings I was sent were actually high not medium(sent back for refund). I now have the lows on the rifle and it works out quite well. Still higher than I am used to(getting as close to the barrel as possible) but I can get used to it!!!