Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
Is this a documented fact or a personal opinion?

I am not sure I understand the cause and effect relationship implied in the above statement. I'd be interested in further elaboration.

My understanding is that the flat rear was machined from round receivers. There are stories (some captured in threads on this forum) about the flat portion not being true, and the resulting difficulties in mounting rails and scopes. Without a good scope mount it is hard to be accurate. Please remember, however, that there are plenty of flatbacks shooting very well with no scope mounting issues at all. :^)

I, for one, don't know the answer to the OPs question, however, my limited experience has shown that in my case, with my shooting abilities/skill ( I am no 1000 yard benchrest shooter by any stretch of the imagination), there is no discernible difference.
The flat back receivers were the WORST for warping during heat treat, especially the single shot versions. When the round receivers came out, they changed the method of heat treat to reduce distortion.
The flat back receivers were known for not being quite "flat" because they were finished on a belt sander after machining the flat.
Aside from that, I have found no difference in accuracy from long or short or single shot vs. repeater.
I once ran a test involving 4 different actions; long action single shot, long action repeater, short action single shot and short action repeater, and one barrel and the same 10 cases. I shot 5-5shot groups from each action (25 shots total) and compared the aggs.
From the best to the worst, the difference was .058", which gives a standard deviation of .0023. Which essentially is nothing.