Thread: Press advice for new handloader... 6.5mm Creedmoor

MarTay6

Press advice for new handloader... 6.5mm Creedmoor

I'm new to reloading... well, it's been 40 years, so- yeah, I'm new to reloading!
    The gun I'm building is based on a Savage Target action, with the tweak & tune by Sharp Shooter Supply- with a 28" Brux bull barrel, and his Evolution trigger... stock research is about to begin. I'm not a 'formal competitive benchrest' shooter- at least not yet... (this is a retirement present for me- retiring next year to Maine!) but its intended purpose is paper killing at 200 yards or more, accuracy and fun being the goal.
    So it seems its also time to start formulating reloading plans. I'm not interested in reloading 1000 rounds at a session, but I AM interested in accurate, quality ammo. Semi-benchrest level of accuracy???
    Presses I'm considering range from the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press- to something like the Harrell's Precision Combo Press, the Hood press, Harrell's Compact Reloading Press or the Sinclair 7/8-14 Benchrest Press.
    Caliber= 6.5mm Creedmoor.
    Recommendations, guidance and advice are most welcome. I'm looking at researching and choosing each piece one at a time, I figure the press is a good place to start.
    Thanks!
    Wes

I have a Forster Co-Ax and I ma very happy with it for my precision rifle rounds. easy to use, very accurate priming system, very powerful for full length resizing, and the best spent primer catch system out there.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

I've been using a Lyman crusher press ever since I started reloading and have been very pleased with it. Its simple solid and dependable. I have had no desire to upgrade or swap it out and I reload at least three nights a week.

That's a hell of a barrel for 200 yards!!
    Presses are really irrelevant for what you are doing, pick what makes you happy. Price paid for lifespan, I love my Lee equipment.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

MarTay6
    That's a hell of a barrel for 200 yards!!
    I did say "or more"!! *s*
    Depends on how big my new backyard will be in Maine!
    I realize what you say- about the press being basically irrelevant for what I'll be doing- but I figure if I'm going to buy one, I might as well seek the advice of others much more experienced and wiser than I!! Might as well get the best suited for my purposes as long as I'm investing in one.
    I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing with the gun when I retire... so I figured I'd make sure it was capable of whatever might turn up!

Wes

I use an old RCBS rockchucker (about 35 years) and all RCBS dies and I will load for 7 rifle calibers and 6 different hand guns and the press or dies never failed me. The plus side of this is RCBS will stand behind everything both old and new. I shoot BR out to 200 and have no problems with accurate loads except for the trigger puller(me).
    Where in Maine are you going? Asking because there is a very nice range, Damariscotta, that I think goes to 300 yards and they hold BR matches monthly through the warmer months.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

I have 3 presses. The one I use for accuracy is a Forster Co-Ax. It is everything brtelec said. The Creedmoor is easy to load for as well so finding the best one should be painless.
    More shooting, less typing.

MarTay6
    Froggy-
    Wanting to go to the Belfast area- or just outside of it... most artsy community in Maine, which suits us just fine!
    Need to start investigating how regulations/zoning impact the ability of shooting on one's own property.
    Jamie- what is it about the Forster that makes you turn to it for benchrest reloading?
    Thanks for your inputs, guys- I appreciate it!
    Wes

stangfish
    All good advice. Lee Classic Cast, Lyman Orange Crush, RCBS Rock Chucker...Everyone including me would like to have a Forster being top tier but not required. All of the cast iron ones are solid and do a great job. Don't spend time on cheap electronic scales no matter how great someone tells you theirs is. Get yourself some quality case prep tools, a powder drop, a good trickler, a funnel, a loading block/tray and your on your way.

MarTay6
    Thanks, Stangfish-
    This is the kind of advice I'm looking for here. Started out taking one thing at a time, started with the press! I don't ever try to cheap out on products... never like having to buy a 2nd time. What do you like in scales?? Saw some chatter on a fairly expensive automatic RCBS scale, looked pretty good... By case prep tools, I assume you mean dies? That was going to be my next point of research... think I've pretty well got the press scoped out. Case cleaning is going to be another topic down the road. Ultrasonic cleaners appear to be the thing, or case tumblers... appears to be a huge range of quality on ultrasonic cleaners.
    Wes
    Wes

stangfish
    Case prep is how you bring you brass back to the dimensional specifications you desire to prepare for reloading. Dies are unquestionably part of that process. It goes further than that if you so desire ... for some of us it is the journey not just the destination.

For me case prep at a minimal is; quality and functionality being equally important, a carbide primer pocket uniformer and a flash hole deburr tool. In my opinion a case headspace inspection tool is also important. I like the cheap Hornady set. It suits my needs. This comes in handy with full length and shoulder bump dies. It is always good to record you chamber dimensions form a fired case. The information about case headspace length on sized cartridges takes the mystery out of several issues.

Next up the chain is a way to trim your cases. This is a requirement with cases like the 308 and 223 for guys that use their brass many times with hot loads. Does not mean you will need to but you asked about case prep. If you do that then you need a way to deburr the necks so inside and outside chamfer tools are required. My favorite is the Lyman VLD for both inside and outside, but others like the I think 60 degree cotters, the carbide ones being the best.

Another thing that some really picky shooters do is case neck turning or reaming. there are a couple of reasons why someone would want to or need to but I wont bother with that discussion. I don't do it and don't believe you will need to as either.

I'm sure there is more but this is what came to mind. Some of the other knowledgeable posters will chime in on my misinformation or add some things I missed.

MarTay6
    Thanks for the info on checking the case headspace. This is something I was totally unfamiliar with- and will have to bone up upon. Chamber headspace, yes.... this? No. I found the Hornady set you referred to, will have to add that to my wishlist and see if I can find instructions on how to use them.
    Wes

MarTay6
    Thanks!
    Wes

Team Savage
    tumbler gets them like new,no dust

Quote Originally Posted by MarTay6 View Post
    Jamie- what is it about the Forster that makes you turn to it for benchrest reloading?
    Thanks for your inputs, guys- I appreciate it!
    Wes
    Everything about it is smooth and accurate. Oh, never have to buy she'll holders again. A good O type press will work but everyone that has tried my Forster bought one.
    More shooting, less typing.

Lessdrop
    I have a lee and it was fine till i broke the frame, so next its an rcbs ro k chucker supreme which is nice, but i am going to get a new frame for the lee so i can have two set up. I'll consider thay a lesson learned about lubrication and force, because there is no good reason for breaking the lee.
    Have fun, great hobby,
    lessdrop

Quote Originally Posted by MarTay6 View Post
    Depends on how big my new backyard will be in Maine!
    Wes
    Wait a minute....Your tag says your from NE Florida and your retiring to Maine?????
    That's not the norm!

Usually it's just the opposite =