Until Savage LW Hunter model came out, I played around with building a LW Savage rifle. My observations are a Savage 22" factory sporter barrel weights approximately 2 lbs 6 oz. A 26" CBI LV contour barrel weights around 3.0 lbs. Each inch of barrel length removed drops the barrel weight by about 1.5 to 2 oz depending on barrel contour. The 20" FW barrel on the Savage LW Hunter is approximately 2lbs, 1 oz. If you want the lightest compact stand/carry rifle with a Savage action, then go with the Savage LWH. You'll save time and money in the long run.

As I reduced rifle weight and barrel length, it became harder to control the rifle for consitant accuracy. Muzzle blast, increased recoil and decreased MV also become a factor. IMO, these factors play a bigger roll in consistant accuracy than barrel contour with a cold barrel. I ended up removing the 20" factory barrel on my Savage 260 LWH and replacing with a 22" factory sporter barrel in 260. Still light and compact, but it was easier to shoot consistently.