I have an older 10fp that has always given me fits when bedding it. For the first time I tried using longer bolts with the heads cut off as dowels to guide the action into the stock. At this point it was immediately obvious what the problem has been. The two action screw holes are canted as compared to the rest of the action. The ejection port, scope rail, and trigger are all true to one another. The action screws are canted about 5 degrees.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to fix this, or which of the fine savage 'smiths I should call to take this repair on? I contacted savage and they wanted me to send it in for evaluation. I don't want to send it out unless I'm assured it will be repaired and they couldn't tell me that. I have had the bottom of this action machined to accept AI AW mags, so I would rather not have to chuck it and start over.

One solution I see is to drill the factory holes out and tap for a slightly larger bolt. Does anyone have any experience with doing that sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.