Thread: New Axis Owner - need help with scope mount

GMC-AT

New Axis Owner - need help with scope mount

Just got a new 25-06 Axis. I have a Nikon ProStaff scope... I put it on the gun.. and the bolt (high throw) hit the scope not allowing it to open all the way. My mounts are a 2 piece mount I purchased seperate. I researched some and saw a one piece mount....like this http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sava..._p/egw-418.htm

Is this what I need? I guess I need to get the higher ring mounts as well? Please help and provide any helpful links... details.. I have a hunt coming up in a few days.. need to get ready!
    thanks!

Basic Member
    That base will work fine. I'm using the same one with med. rings and a 50mm scope and everything clears fine. You may get by with low rings depending on you scope size.

Basic Member
    Yep! I run the 20MOA on my rig.

GMC-AT
    2 questions -

1. Do I get a 0 or 20 MOA mount ( I never shoot over 250 yards)

2. My scope is a Nikon ProStaff - standard 40. Can you post a link to the rings that should work?

Basic Member
    0 is perfect

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

If it's hitting the ocular bell then you pretty much have to go to taller rings to move it up. Considering most every brand/type of rings is unique in their actual installed height it's kind of hard for anyone to say exactly what ring will/won't work for your particular situation. Unfortunately standardization is something that's never caught on in the firearms accessory industry.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

thomae
    I have an Axis set up with the EGW rail and medium Burris Signature Zee rings.
    - The rail allows more flexibility in where you mount the scope so it fits your eye/body position. It also elevates the scope some.
    - I like the Signature Zee rings because they hold my scopes well, don't mark or stress the scopes, and don't need to be trued or lapped.

On my Axis, I am using a Bushnell elite 10x mil/mil scope and I did have to grind down the front teeth of the rail so the scope bell could fit. The reason for this was that the scope is short and I had to pull it rather far to the rear to get the proper scope/eye position I need.

The height of the different sizes of Burris rings is on their website.

To reiterate previous points made:
    - You should not need a 20 MOA rail for what you are doing.
    - Other brands' medium rings may be different heights, so unfortunately you will need to figure it all out and do the math to see if what fits.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    We did this already.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...dle-hits-scope

I ended up grinding a notch on the bolt handle then dressed it up to look like it belonged there. One of my Axis bolt handles I ground the arm flat - removed the recessed areas of the arm & painted it.
    There's something about the Nikon ProStaff that will drive you batty. I tried rings, rails, 2x4 block & tie wire - no joy. I ended up using the Prostaff on another rifle & stuck a Vortex on the Axis.
    It's got a somewhat larger diameter eye bell, I reckon.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!