Thread: Pac Nor pre fit?

Basic Member

Pac Nor pre fit?

I am getting ready to start my build for a 257 Roberts on a Model 12 and am thinking of using a PacNor barrel because I can get it with a 1:9 twist for longer mono bullets and heavy leads. I notice on their website that they recommend a gunsmith fit the barrel to the action. Does Pacnor leave a step or two out that a gunsmith has to perform or are these barrels a true prefit/drop in barrel? This will be my first barrel swap but it seems pretty straight forward. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

sortafast
    you can call them, but my guess is that they say that as a CYA measure. Some people really don't know what they are doing with firearms and lack the skills, tools and knowledge to properly install a barrel. My guess is, is that they want to scare those people away. IF you know what you are doing (and with the savage, it ain't hard) i doubt it would be an issue. There is a possibility that they short chamber their prefits, but I have no clue if this is the case.

Basic Member
    Says they are a short thread shank ready to be set back and head spaced. I may call them tomorrow and see what they will tell me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10gaugemag View Post
    Says they are a short thread shank ready to be set back and head spaced. I may call them tomorrow and see what they will tell me.
    I wonder if the short thread is for screw in barrels without a nut?

JCalhoun
    Pac Nor's customer service is lousy and their workmanship is spotty. Give McGowen, Shilen, Sinman, or Rock Creek a call.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Pac Nor's customer service is lousy and their workmanship is spotty. Give McGowen, Shilen, Sinman, or Rock Creek a call.
    I've been dealing with Pac Nor for nearly 15 years....have not got a bad barrel from them yet........
    Wait time has increased on any of their products...pre fit Savage tubes are 12-14 weeks out....yes they are ready to install...
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Boy doesn't this bring back memories. I can remember when we first started this site and for the first two - maybe three years the only two barrel maker names you would hear on the site were Douglas (SSS) and Pac-Nor - mainly because they were the only two pre-fit options at the time. We'd get the occasional Shilen, Hart, Lilja, or Lothar Walther post, but probably 95% or more were either Pac-Nor or Douglas.

Somewhere along the line (I think it was mainly due to a group buy getting royally screwed up and bad service after the fact) Pac-Nor kinda fell out of favor and within a year you never heard word one about them anymore. Now they're lucky to get mentioned here maybe once a year - if even that often. My how time changes things.

Personally I've never owned a Pac-Nor and it's mainly because for whatever reason their barrels always seem to have a shorter life in terms of round count. I don't know if they use a slightly softer grade of metal to reduce wear on their tooling or if they're a little heavy handed when hand-lapping the barrels or what, but that's just always been the trend with Pac-Nor from what I've read on numerous forums over the past 12-15 years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

sinman
    Pac-nor isn't the only company to make a 1/9 twist barrel for 25cal. Brux, benchmark and other cut rifled companies will (usually) cut to what ever twist you want. Plus button rifle companies like Shilen offer them also.