Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 LRP not firing

pahoghunter

12 LRP not firing

I've been working on loads for my .243 and at least 6 times in the last couple of weeks I've had misfires. The firing pin drops puts a small dent in the primer, I lift the bolt and the next time it fires. It happened with both Rem. and CCI primers. Ironically the other morning at the range I notice the guy next to me was shooting a Savage as I was trying to figure out which model he had he pulled the trigger it went click, he recycled the bolt and then it fired. Any suggestions?

ASSuming you don't have any primer issues (lube contamination, seating issues), have you checked your firing pun protrusion?
    If it is correct, and you aren't striking off center, you need q new spring. Again, assuming not a primer issue.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

stangfish
    How much are you bumping your shoulder back on your cases? Have you lubed the internals of your bolt? Do you have any pits in the face of your bolt?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pahoghunter View Post
    . Any suggestions?
    Before anything else I'd pull the bolt apart and give a good thorough cleaning including the inside of the bolt head, why pipe cleaners were invented. I'd also at the very least dump a half a bottle of lighter fluid in the trigger and on the sear where it meets the action and trigger housing.

I don't know where your located here in Pa, but the temp here was in the low 30s last night. At those temperatures or even in the low fifties the accumulation of oil mixed with crud will cause it to thicken like road tar and pad the pin fall.

Oh, and it not manufacturer specific, I've fixed more than a few other "Off Brands" with kerosene!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

pahoghunter
    I'm neck sizing, the gun is new, I've tried 2 different types of primers, I think I will take the bolt apart?

stangfish
    Let us know pahog

Pump
    I would try factory before I would change the bolt spring or firing pin. If it goes bang with 20 factory the problem is in the reloading process, if not the spring or pin is faulty. New gun, clean the crap out of it.

2sonmike
    Put a piece of tape over whichever pad you use on your trigger finger. It's the accutrigger feature not working.
    i have a friend with a 338 110 ba....it cured his problem....and it sure as heck won't hurt anything trying it!

stangfish
    I forget that people not aware of how the accutrigger works can fail to override the trigger safety and not understand why it does not fire. For the older members...It is flawed!

Basic Member
    What you describe is the classic symptom of primers not being fully seated. Could be numerous other things as mentioned, but primer seating would be the first thing I would look at.

Basic Member
    OK guys this is NOT and i will repete NOT an accutrigger problem. Notice in the first post pa said it left a little dimple in the primer? Because of two brands of primer being used i think we can rule out primers being bad and that leaves primer seating, headspace (how much was the shoulder bumped back), then bolt problems.

Pahoghunter as stated above check your primer seating. I believe you will find your problem there. Then as Bill said flush your bolt out really well. And the bolt flush won't hurt anything so would be a good ideal to do it anyway. Remember NO WD-40 on any internals.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

pahoghunter
    I don't understand the part about the primers being "fully seated" I would understand being seated to deeply? They do nor protrude below the base if that's what you mean?

Basic Member
    If the primers are not seated fully a large part of the energy from the firing pin strike is wasted by seating the primer. With a fully seated primer the full energy is used to crush the priming compound against the anvil causing it to detonate. Seated fully means as deep as possible without crushing or deforming them.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I had a similar problem once. I replaced the sear and all was fine there after. (Did this after trying several other parts). Don't ask me what happened. I own maybe 14 Savage Actions and have seen several problems, but never figured this one out. Of course after it started working properly, I just started shooting again and didn't worry about it. A very clean bolt assembly is absolutely required. A new firing pin and spring are next.

I don't have a clue how old your actions is. Do you have another action and blot you can "borrow" parts from just to try?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    OK guys this is NOT and i will repete NOT an accutrigger problem. Notice in the first post pa said it left a little dimple in the primer?
    I agree, but to add another log to the fire, if the trigger over travel is set too tight it causes the sear to drag over the radius on the trigger padding the pin fall then depending on the trigger pull it may fire one time and not the next.

I love diagnosing interment problems, it gives me a reason to drink more beer!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

pahoghunter
    I got it now. this can't be the problem the pockets are tight and I am using my Rock Chucker to seat the primers.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I agree, but to add another log to the fire, if the trigger over travel is set too tight it causes the sear to drag over the radius on the trigger padding the pin fall then depending on the trigger pull it may fire one time and not the next.

Bill
    There is no over travel adjustment on any of my accutriggers, so I don't see how it could be 'set' wrong. Now, there could be gunk on the trigger, as is common with new rifles, that I could see doing what you describe. Or the accurelease isn't traveling far enough to clear the sear or it has a burr on it. Or there is FOD between the trigger stop and trigger preventing appropriate over travel.
    Other than that, if that's not it then I'd agree that firing pin protrusion needs to be checked. The factory sets them around .055, but savage gunsmiths tend to shoot for .035-.045. Anything from .035 to about .060 would indicate that pin protrusion isn't the problem
    If that's all good, then it's time to disassemble the bolt and clean it.

Basic Member
    I got it now. this can't be the problem the pockets are tight and I am using my Rock Chucker to seat the primers.
    I know my Rock Chucker has no "feel" for seating primers and mostly let's then sit up off the floor of the primer pocket and protrude above the base. This is why I use a hand primer, I can actually feel when it is seated entirely and I get the 2-3 thou below base that I desire. If you have access to a hand primer, at least try it. You will see it's actually faster and easier and gives a better feel for the condition of the primer pockets and depth.

Basic Member
    To the contrary, this points even more strongly to inadequate seating depth as the problem.

pahoghunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I had a similar problem once. I replaced the sear and all was fine there after. (Did this after trying several other parts). Don't ask me what happened. I own maybe 14 Savage Actions and have seen several problems, but never figured this one out. Of course after it started working properly, I just started shooting again and didn't worry about it. A very clean bolt assembly is absolutely required. A new firing pin and spring are next.

I don't have a clue how old your actions is. Do you have another action and blot you can "borrow" parts from just to try?
    Its new, and no I don't have any other actions

pahoghunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    I know my Rock Chucker has no "feel" for seating primers and mostly let's then sit up off the floor of the primer pocket and protrude above the base. This is why I use a hand primer, I can actually feel when it is seated entirely and I get the 2-3 thou below base that I desire. If you have access to a hand primer, at least try it. You will see it's actually faster and easier and gives a better feel for the condition of the primer pockets and depth.
    I've used the hand primer, it doesn't make any difference.

pahoghunter

Cleaned

I took the bolt apart last evening and cleaned it, this morning I went to the range 3 out of 15 didn't fire one of the 3 fired after recycling the bolt. Another question about the flat spring washer does it matter which direction it goes on, I can't see that it would? The bolt functioned properly but ALL my groups went to hades. Also I called Savage this morning they said there guns aren't made to fire reloads. So I guess I will go get a box of factory?

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post

Bill
    You need a reason? Better call 911
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

bodywerks
    I took the bolt apart last evening and cleaned it, this morning I went to the range 3 out of 15 didn't fire one of the 3 fired after recycling the bolt. Another question about the flat spring washer does it matter which direction it goes on, I can't see that it would? The bolt functioned properly but ALL my groups went to hades. Also I called Savage this morning they said there guns aren't made to fire reloads. So I guess I will go get a box of factory?
    They're full of feces. Plain and simple. But a box of factory ammo will eliminate your reloading technique as the culprit.
    The washer direction doesn't matter.
    You need to start telling us what you have and have not done so we can help you.
    Have you checked firing pin protrusion?
    Have you cleaned your trigger?
    Have you verified that there's nothing hindering the movement of the sear after the trigger is pulled?
    Have you verified that you are fully compressing the accurelease prior to engaging the trigger? If you aren't doing this the accurelease will stop the sear and keep the firing pin from striking the primer.
    Show us pics of the light primer strikes. If they are super light I think it has to do with obstruction on your trigger or your technique.
    Is this your first accutrigger rifle?
    Last edited by bodywerks; 11-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.

pahoghunter
    The factory rounds had 3 misfires and Savage is sending the big brown truck. This is not my first accu-trigger (it might be my last) the firing pin protrusion was I believe .060, the firing pin struck the primer every time, the strikes on all the primers appeared to be light whether they fired or not especially if I compared them to my Sako. We will see what Savage has to say. thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast