Thread: Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    steveNChunter
    Hello SS forum! This is my first post.

I bought a Savage Axis stainless in .223 the other day after seeing that Boyd's was offering stocks for them. I was previously turned off to the Axis because of their flimsy tupperware stock and lack of an aftermarket one.

But Boyd's has come to the rescue.

I ordered a prairie hunter in pepper with stippling pattern #1 and I can't wait for it to get here. I think it's gonna look awesome on a stainless rifle. I placed my order on Nov. 15th, anyone have an idea of when I might see it? I realize the stippling makes it a "custom" so that may add to the lead time. I'm hoping to at least see it before Christmas.

Basic Member
    My Prairie Hunter arrived in about 6 days, but it wasn't custom, and I happened to order at just the right time.

Finally taking out on Sunday to see how she shoots!

jhawk60
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    My Prairie Hunter arrived in about 6 days, but it wasn't custom, and I happened to order at just the right time.

Finally taking out on Sunday to see how she shoots!
    Mine was a pepper classic with no custom work and was ordered the day after the stocks came out, took almost a month to get it. It makes the gun so much better it was well worth the wait.

Took a doe with it Monday morning.

Axis270
    Hi Gents!

Just a heads-up to those who are thinking of pillar-bedding their Boyds stocks: I pillar-bedded my stock today and found that the pillar/insert that Boyds installed inside the front action screw is actually only letting the screw turn into the action by about 2-3 threads. The reason being that the collar that the screw head tightens up against is set back quite a bit. It is also considerably shorter than the pillar/insert from the factory stock. I pushed the pillar out of the factory stock, loosely inserted it in the Boyds stock for measurement and fit-up and found that I only had to remove about .020 inch off the top and thus had a ready to go front pillar for the Boyds stock.

Safe shooting!

hmmmm... I like that idea of the pillar out of the original sock...

Quote Originally Posted by Axis270 View Post
    Hi Gents!

Just a heads-up to those who are thinking of pillar-bedding their Boyds stocks: I pillar-bedded my stock today and found that the pillar/insert that Boyds installed inside the front action screw is actually only letting the screw turn into the action by about 2-3 threads. The reason being that the collar that the screw head tightens up against is set back quite a bit. It is also considerably shorter than the pillar/insert from the factory stock. I pushed the pillar out of the factory stock, loosely inserted it in the Boyds stock for measurement and fit-up and found that I only had to remove about .020 inch off the top and thus had a ready to go front pillar for the Boyds stock.

Safe shooting!
    Didn't know if it was just my stock or what, but my front action screw would only catch by 1 thread. I happen to have a longer screw laying around that I used a threading die on then cut to length. Not really impressed with that part of it.

G