Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why aren't short/super short magnum cartriges more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by mnhntr View Post
    I should have clarified I am refering to the WSSM calibers. With the 7wsm to 7mm mag or 300wsm to 300 win mag there is not as big a difference however the gain is still negligable.
    I run the WSM's out of a long action. It lets me hang some heavy VLD's without running into mag length problems. That's a big advantage over the 7RM and 300win.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Freepistol, just curious, why is the 7RSAUM "not short enough"? Even with long bullets it should work well in a Savage short action? Thanks...Jim

Basic Member
    "I hope your brass its not cheap. if you shoot alot reloaing is really worth the cost of the equipment "

I think you meant to say you hope I'm keeping my brass? If so, then yes I am. So far I don't shoot the expensive rounds enough to justify the cost of the equipment yet. That may change though. Also, I have a friend who has reloading equipment that says I can use it, so all I would have to guy are the proper dies and components. I'm saving all my brass to hopefully do that in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Freepistol, just curious, why is the 7RSAUM "not short enough"? Even with long bullets it should work well in a Savage short action? Thanks...Jim
    Jim,
    It's not the magazine length. I want to make a light rifle with a 20 or maybe a 21" barrel. The guys on Specialty Pistol have been getting good velocity out of 18-20" barrels using the 7SAUM, however, I think a shorter cartridge would do the same with less powder, muzzle blast, and recoil. I've been comparing velocity and powder weights of various rounds and there are 7mm loadings that'll get 2700fps with 5-11 grains less powder than the SAUM. With a capacity about 7 grains less, I would be happy. After many hours of flipping pages back and forth, I've come to the conclusion that the 7SAUM is the way to go and just have to decide on the contour and length. I'd like to have a short, stiff barrel, but don't want a big velocity concession. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a Shilen 24" heavy sporter and I think cutting a couple inches off that would make a great mountain weight barrel in the 7SAUM.
    Are you tax diversified?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freepistol View Post
    Jim,
    It's not the magazine length. I want to make a light rifle with a 20 or maybe a 21" barrel. The guys on Specialty Pistol have been getting good velocity out of 18-20" barrels using the 7SAUM, however, I think a shorter cartridge would do the same with less powder, muzzle blast, and recoil. I've been comparing velocity and powder weights of various rounds and there are 7mm loadings that'll get 2700fps with 5-11 grains less powder than the SAUM. With a capacity about 7 grains less, I would be happy. After many hours of flipping pages back and forth, I've come to the conclusion that the 7SAUM is the way to go and just have to decide on the contour and length. I'd like to have a short, stiff barrel, but don't want a big velocity concession. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a Shilen 24" heavy sporter and I think cutting a couple inches off that would make a great mountain weight barrel in the 7SAUM.
    What kind of velocity were they getting with 20" bbls and what wt bullets?

From the thread:

I have the 7 SAUM and 7 WSM in the HS precision, 15" barrel.
    both push the 140 gr Ballistic tip in the upper 2800 FPS range
    my XP in a 284 Win will push same bullet just under 2800 fps ( 2770 avg)
    I like the 140 gr BT for deer sized game , never had a deer walk away after being hit by one of them.

And:

I get 2975fps with 162gr AMax bullets. It is an 18" brux barrel on a savage target action. Whacked an antelope at 926 yards with it.
    Are you tax diversified?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12