Thread: Why aren't short/super short magnum cartriges more popular?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mnhntr
    Expensive factory ammo
    Crappy brass
    Not much gain over the regular cartridge counter part
    Excessive barrel wear
    and the list goes on and on.

sinman
    hmm, I didn't know Norma brass was crappy. And excessive barrel wear? are we speculating now or have you taken 2 exactly built rifles and documented how many rounds it takes to wear out a 7mm Wsm to a 7mm rem mag or a 300 wsm to a 300 Win mag?

mnhntr
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    hmm, I didn't know Norma brass was crappy. And excessive barrel wear? are we speculating now or have you taken 2 exactly built rifles and documented how many rounds it takes to wear out a 7mm Wsm to a 7mm rem mag or a 300 wsm to a 300 Win mag?
    I should have clarified I am refering to the WSSM calibers. With the 7wsm to 7mm mag or 300wsm to 300 win mag there is not as big a difference however the gain is still negligable.

Quote Originally Posted by mnhntr View Post
    I should have clarified I am refering to the WSSM calibers. With the 7wsm to 7mm mag or 300wsm to 300 win mag there is not as big a difference however the gain is still negligable.
    I run the WSM's out of a long action. It lets me hang some heavy VLD's without running into mag length problems. That's a big advantage over the 7RM and 300win.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Freepistol, just curious, why is the 7RSAUM "not short enough"? Even with long bullets it should work well in a Savage short action? Thanks...Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Freepistol, just curious, why is the 7RSAUM "not short enough"? Even with long bullets it should work well in a Savage short action? Thanks...Jim
    Jim,
    It's not the magazine length. I want to make a light rifle with a 20 or maybe a 21" barrel. The guys on Specialty Pistol have been getting good velocity out of 18-20" barrels using the 7SAUM, however, I think a shorter cartridge would do the same with less powder, muzzle blast, and recoil. I've been comparing velocity and powder weights of various rounds and there are 7mm loadings that'll get 2700fps with 5-11 grains less powder than the SAUM. With a capacity about 7 grains less, I would be happy. After many hours of flipping pages back and forth, I've come to the conclusion that the 7SAUM is the way to go and just have to decide on the contour and length. I'd like to have a short, stiff barrel, but don't want a big velocity concession. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a Shilen 24" heavy sporter and I think cutting a couple inches off that would make a great mountain weight barrel in the 7SAUM.
    Are you tax diversified?