Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re chambering 338 LAPUA to edge

Basic Member

Also, it's not that I think the Savage is an inferior action. In fact it has a lot of attributes that I find superior to other actions. I wouldn't trust a cartridge of that size in a Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Browning, Howa, etc. because they're all about the same size and designed for the same size cartridges. I think the Weatherby MKV's made for the 378 size cases are bigger actions and probably heat treated differently to where they're better suited for that size cartridge. The same could be said for the Savage and Remington actions that came from the factory chambered for the Lapua.

Basic Member
    With all of the Edge builds that have been talked about on this site, I am surprised none of those guys have come back with answers?

In 2008, Remington reported that someone chambered a 308 Win in a 270 Win and touched it off :-(. The fortunate individual was unharmed, but the barrel and stock were destroyed. The case head "welded" to the bolt face so the bolt was also destroyed. The action body itself was unharmed, all of the damaged parts were replaced, and the rifle put back into service. It was estimated that the action experienced, at least, 110,000 psi. The 300 RUM, the parent case for the 338 Edge, is a 65,000psi case.

I believe that the Savage action is "at least" as strong as a Remington 700 action :-) !

I have complete confidence in the strength of the Savage small shank action :-) !

I would still like to hear from some of the veteran 338 Edge builder/shooters !.........Thanks.........Jim

sinman
    I have built tons of them, what would you like to know? 90% of them are on small shank, all are working great.

Basic Member
    All modern bolt actions, Savage and Remington included, can handle somewhere between 125,000 and 150,000 psi before they really let go. However, with the Lapua and the Norma for that matter (which has similar head size as the Lapua), it is about bolt thrust. I'm not saying it will imediately blow up, but will likely experience lug setback. If I can find the thread, I will site it, but I remember reading Sharpshooter talking about experimenting with the Lapua on the standard Savage action with the small shank. The barrel would temporarily swell so much during firing, due to the thin chamber walls that the cases stuck. There was also locking lug setback. I wish he would chime in here but I'll see if I can find the thread. Now, like I said, I don't see any problem with the Edge or RUM's because their body and head is smaller in diameter than the Lapua and do not generate as much bolt thrust due to that. The Edges and RUM's are even fine on the small shank. You can talk PSI all you want and that's one thing to consider. But 65,000 psi from a RUM case pushing against the bolt face and 65,000 psi from a 338 Lapua or 378 Weatherby case pushing against the bolt face is a difference because that psi is happening over a larger surface area. It's kinda like air brakes on a road tractor. They operate at a much lower psi than fluid brakes on a regular automobile. Yet they have much more stopping force because the pressure is exerted over a much larger piston in the cylinder that actuates the brakes which creates more thrust against the piston. Don't misunderstand, I'm not badmouthing the Savage action. I am a big fan. In fact, I feel that the action is superior and stronger/safer than the Remington 700 in a lot of ways.

Basic Member
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,36123.0.html

This is it, but I can't get it to come up anymore. I'm not sure if the thread has been erased or what. Maybe one of the moderators could locate it. Or maybe someone can get Sharpshooter to chime in on this thread.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,36123.0.html

This is it, but I can't get it to come up anymore. I'm not sure if the thread has been erased or what. Maybe one of the moderators could locate it. Or maybe someone can get Sharpshooter to chime in on this thread.
    Was it the thread on the 300 rum that blew up? I think they were trolls and it went down hill fast. I am thinking I'll just buy the LAPUA in right hand with the hs stock.

Basic Member
    No it wasn't that thread. It was a legitimate one but it's been a while back and was on the old format of the site before it was upgraded so that may have something to do with it.

Basic Member
    I got a 338 edge on a small shank 110 action. I shoot it single shot. It has a 30" Pac-Nor bull barrel on it. Shoots the 300 Sierra MK at 2825 fps under 1/4" @ 100yrds all day long. No problems forming brass from RP 300 or 375 rum.

BT

I've got a 30" shilen 338 edge barrel with defensive edge brake, dies, brass, and bullets I may part with here in a few days.

Basic Member
    Don't misunderstand guys. I never said the Edge or anything on the RUM case was a problem. It is within the safety margins of the action. That's why Remington designed it that way, so that it would work in the 700 action and they wouldn't have to build a bigger action for it. That's also why they rebated the rim so that it would fit in a regular magnum bolt face (although it's slightly larger). I don't think it creates that much more bolt thrust than a belted magnum due to the case size and the rim size.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    If you want to be a really cool kid take your lapua barrel off and put on a 338 Norma barrel.
    cool equals what? something different or something better. i have several friends with the normas. one has a 30
    and the other a 338. balisticly they are impressive. the bolt face in my opinion is not. sorry but ill take a larger one
    for those type cartridges. my grandkids and now their kids are shooting my guns also. im not interested in inexpensive
    builds. id rather do without.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    There have been a couple ultramags that have come apart, I don't think anything was ever a root cause proven on it though. Both of the ones that I know of they were handloading also.

I think I may end up just getting the LM since it is available from savage. I will just have to go through there custom shop to get it with the bolt on the correct side! I would like to do it with a Choate, I would really like the Whidden but $800.....
    FYI the Choate won't fit the 338 Lapua. I checked with them when I was looking. I''m pretty sure there's not room in the magwell for the extra length.

Thumbs Up

With all of the Edge builds that have been talked about on this site, I am surprised none of those guys have come back with answers?
    There are many threads out there (or was) on the 338 Edge. Take any magnum Savage Long Action which should have a bolthead measurement of .532 and install the 338 Edge Barrel.

I took a 7mag BVSS, unscrewed the barrel, installed a 338 Edge barrel and have one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned.

NOTE: Correct headspace is a MUST, use the go/no go gauges.

I have about 500 rounds down the tube, necking up 300RUM brass.

I talked to Shawn Carlock about my project before I built it. Just Google his name and his website will come up. There is a lot of information on his 338 Edge creation.

FYI,

By the way, the 338 Lapua bolthead should measure .588
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Thanks Dennis and Tar heel

That's unfortunate on the Choate!

I think now my next step is a 17 of some sorts. Then it's either the 338 or the Shorty 308.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dennis and Tar heel

That's unfortunate on the Choate!

I think now my next step is a 17 of some sorts. Then it's either the 338 or the Shorty 308.
    Keep in mind, I was wanting to drop in the factory DBM. you could prob run single shot. You also MIGHT be able to open up the blind mag. I'd contact them if you're interested in either of those.

Basic Member
    I'm wanting to keep the factory DBM myself also. I will have to call Choate and maybe make it fit. I like the Choate that is on my 308.

Basic Member
    I'm wanting to keep the factory DBM myself also. I will have to call Choate and maybe make it fit. I like the Choate that is on my 308.
    Worth a call. I was looking at the Tactical. If you were looking at a dif stock, it could have different dimensions. Another option would be just take a look at the 110 FCP. The HS stock isn't bad at all. You could always add the cheek piece.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76653

$300 gets you the heavier fluted barrel, large bolt handle, and the upgraded stock. I'm sure you could sell the accustock for something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12