Thread: .243 Build- Need barrel advice

Basic Member

.243 Build- Need barrel advice

Gang,
    I'm getting ready to build a .243 varmint/light game rifle and use a CBI barrel. My question is: What barrel length and contour would you suggest for a compromise between weight, being mobile, and maintaining accuracy? I'm concerned a Lt. Varmint might be too heavy. Tell me about your builds and what you'd suggest. FYI, I will be putting the barrel on a short action stagger feed.
    Thanks

I have a Criterion 22" Light Varmint and I find it to be a FANTASTIC balance of length and weight. Its a rifle that I have hunted with, but I'm not humping it around all day up and down hills, either. For a 2/3mi hike to the treestand, it was just fine.

I think a 22" LV or Mag contour would be your ticket. For a 243, I wouldn't go much shorter and for a hunting rifle I wouldn't go much longer.

I think a 22" LV or Mag contour would be your ticket. For a 243, I wouldn't go much shorter and for a hunting rifle I wouldn't go much longer.
    Sounds like a good plan. +1

Basic Member
    LRPut
    What twist rate are you planning on using? I have 2 1/10tw and 3 1/8tw in .243 AI barrels. I tend to shoot 75 Gr and up bullets and have had the best luck and groups with the 1/8 tw barrels. My latest barrel is a CBI LT Varmint 1/8tw 26" I plan to use for 87 Gr V-max and 105 Gr A-max. I guess I like the extra speed the 26" gives me over the shorter barrels, the longer barrel has less climb when I shoot off the bags also. If needed you could always have it cut back. Just my 0.02
    22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member
    22 mag, I will soon have a Criterion 24" light varmint 1:8 twist barrel on this action. Kind of compromise between a 22 sporter and 26" light varmint. The barrel will weigh just a little over 3 pounds. That will allow me to shoot a range of bullet weights. I'm anxious to put her together!!!

Basic Member
    Good luck LRPut with your new barrel. We like updates and lots of pictures.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member
    Just glass bedded her tonight. Will headspace tomorrow and maybe have glass on by midweek. Pics are coming

You ordered a light varmint contour and got it this quick? Did you special order it or did criterion or northlander have one in stock?

Good decisions btw too. That twist/length/contour sounds perfect what what you need.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    Jim had one in stock.