Thread: A 150gr or 130gr Barnes Bullet Question in .308 Hog Hunter ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wlleven,

Yes, and for a reason...
    You drop weight with the BARNES bullets to keep higher velocities, due to their construction. They are not the same copper as is used in Traditional jackets. They are very soft, also said sticky. That is why they had a coating to reduce fouling, now have bands cut for the same purpose; reduce fouling and pressures.
    As such Barnes bullets are heat treated, to make them a controlled-type expansion. That heat treating leaves them very tough, and therefore have a much higher operating velocity window. Soooo, if you start out slower, or are shooting very long distance, you need a higher velocity to ensure that they actually open.
    That is where the "Man these things penetrate anything" comes from, shooting heavy bullets that impact below operational windows is pronounced FMJ.

As to the twist rate:
    WEIGHT of any bullet only matters technically. What is important is the known LENGTH, it is all about RPM. Twist/velocity are what is important for RPM. I don't have the link handy, so google "JBM stability Calc". That will give you a page where you can look up bullet lengths, and then put in your given specifics(twist, atmosphere, etc) THAT will be a very good idea of what may or may not stabilize for you.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    130 gr barnes shoot good out of Savage 1-10 twist barrels. The two we use hover around .5-.6 if we do are part. Rifles are a hog hunter, and a Precision Carbine. They work very well on deer only problem we have had with them was when they were pushed to max in a 300 win mag bullet hit shoulder blew up and left shotgun like particles on the opposite inside shoulder, entrance wound was baseball size, I would say the bullet failed in that instance, deer was dead though.