One day last month a guy at the range was shooting a Coop in 243. After the fifth round he said, "Hey guys, look at this group". It as a ragged hole, the rough measurement was about .230" outside to outside. Now, I can be a miserable of goat at times so I "encouraged" him to shoot another group to match or at least close to his first. He tried but that one measured roughly .5" side to side. and AFAIK he hasn't shot another tiny group since.

Another guy mentioned the ONE 100 yard five shot record target, a verified .007" or something of that nature.

I have a stack of wallet groups around this shack, targets I shot when I did everything wrong exactly the same way every shot! I've heard for years one group proves nothing, fire a few more five shot targets to prove the shooter and the rifle.

My point, why do we hold Joe and his hunting rig to a higher standard than one record BR "Wallet group"? In my drag racing days if one set a new strip, division or national record it had to be backed up with a second run within 1% to prove the record run wasn't a fluke.

This isn't to diminish,question or bash one's performance, but my issue is the old "play it again Sam" or the one group proves nothing mantra. Why isn't a second target required within 1% to prove both the shooter's and rifle's performance?

Thoughts?

Bill ( aka: Da grumpy old Fart. )