Let me preface this with the fact that I know absolutely nothing about Savages and bolt guns in general. So I have been getting the itch for a bolt gun. I want to build a gun that I can push out to 1,000 yards. I plan on doing this with a .30-06 because from doing some research I have seen multiple people that use it there for fun and competition. I know it may not be an ideal choice but it will be easier because I already have an M1 Garand and a 760 game master in 30-06 and I have a ton of brass and already have dies for it. So on to the gun.

Today I found an older 111 in .30-06 for $250 that is a stagger feed with a side release magazine. So far my plan is to ditch the barrel and stock that are on there purchase a McGowen 26" pre fit barrel and install it myself. Then replace the stock that is on there with something with an adjustable comb or a chassis system. The problem I appear to run into if I don't go chassis is a lack of stocks for this style magazine. From speaking with CDI they have a bottom metal that fits the stagger feeds and then the stock I choose could be inletted for the CDI bottom metal and AI mags. This is where I think it would almost be better to go chassis because of the cost of the CDI setup plus the cost of a better stock Where the chassis systems are already set up for detachable mags and usually include one mag. Further plans include replacing the stock trigger not sure what with as I'm not sure what all is available and also adding a 20 Moa base and an adjustable something to 20 power scope possibly a vortex. Anything I am missing?

So is there any holes in my plan? Anyone have any other suggestions? What else do I need? I believe this gun should work or am I wrong? Like I said I'm new to this.