Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 30-06 vertical stringing!

Quote Originally Posted by NASIROKLA View Post
    Stangfish, when I tighten the front bolt it tightens and stops-couldnt turn it anymore if you tried. The rear, however, you can keep tightening and tightening. In fact you can hear the stock kinda crackle and pop when tightening the rear screw.
    I had the some problem with my Model 16 Weather Warrior -- until I discovered that the rear screw is the trigger guard screw and anchors into the plastic of the stock and not the action. It took less than 10 inch-lb torque to strip those plastic threads. Most of the on-line references, including those from Savage, did not alert me to this. I found out only after discovering the problem and digging deeper.

Your stock might be similar and it is worth checking.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NASIROKLA View Post
    ok. experimented with cardboard shimming and found that a single layer near the front action screw almost eliminated the snap crackle pop when tightening the bolts. it also stopped the springing of the action when loosening the screws. So' now do I
    1. Try to shoot it while shimmed? YES! In fact add shimming until ALL the crackle stops. This isn't permanent, it's a test.
    2. Muster up the courage and bed it myself YES! But not before you trim away all the contact areas. That is a must.
    3. Call savage and see what they have to say NO! No need. they will tell you nothing compared to the info here. Trust us we are giving you experienced info here.

BTW.The barrel is completely floated and the recoil lug is not bottoming out
    Good

Read the bold words

stangfish
    Handi, You made the points.

One word when your done my friend...Satisfaction!

You can also make shims from an aluminum can too.

Bedding a rifle is easy.......BUT you need to research. Release agent is your friendHopefullyfuly these guys get you squared away and that rifle shooting better.

Good luck.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"

-Thomas Jefferson

Basic Member
    Ok so nearly 2 years later i grew enough courage and bedded the stock. It didnt turn out the best as there were a couple small voids in the bedding( didnt use enough epoxy). As far as the the mag goes i cut the L off the clip and used a couple dabs of epoxy putty to hold the mag in the stock.

I went to the range and it still shot like crap. So i bought a set of dies, some powder, and some bullets. Went to the range today and was able to get sub moa groups! Night and day difference! The gun is now a shooter!

Tom Thomson
    I recently had the same issue with a 110 in 308 except the stringing was horizontal. Turns out that the scope was scooting in the rings just a tad with each shot.
    tommyt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12