Thread: First Long Range Competition! With My Custom Savage Axis.

Basic Member

First Long Range Competition! With My Custom Savage Axis.

This Sunday I'll be participating in my first competition. It's just a fun competition, mostly steel targets out to 887yds. I shot the range a few weeks ago with quite a bit of success. Hopefully the .308 answers the call for me. Should be fun regardless!

Here are they rules/link they go by:

http://www.ncsahighpower.com/guidelines.asp

• Maximum 40 round matches. Shot at known distance targets.
    • Depending on turnout the Match might be shot in relays.
    • Match will be shot from the normal firing line.
    • Match shall be shot from the prone position only (unless you are handicapped in some way and need to shoot in another position or bench).
    • 1st relay shoots at the left target.
    • 2nd relay shoots at the right target.
    • Any rest front or rear.
    • The match directors will judge scoring.
    • Although this is not a timed event, all contestants must be ready to shoot when it is their turn in a respectable time frame.

The contestants on the first relay will be shooting with the left most shooter starting. Shooting one shot, then the shooter to his/her right takes his shot and will continue till each shooter has fired one shot. This order will continue until each shooter has fired all shots. Second relay is up and will shoot in the same fashion as first relay until all shooters have fired their shots. This order will continue at all distances.

Here's the link to the build thread:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...672-Axis-build

For you guys that compete often do you have any tips for preparing for a 40 round match?
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-16-2013 at 06:19 PM.

223 4 me
    That looks like a lot of fun, just relax and have a ball.

stangfish
    Practice. 175's or 178's for the 887 yds

Basic Member
    I had pretty good luck with the 168s I've been slinging.

I'm going to run them since I have them, but like I said this one is mostly for fun.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-16-2013 at 10:33 PM.

JCalhoun
    Shooting steel is a lot of fun. The Axis' skinny sporter barrel will heat up fast so try to run as slow as possible.

Take a notebook and make plenty of observations.

Basic Member
    As stated Custom Savage Axis!

Data book is a must! I keep track of round count and notes on individual shots.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-20-2013 at 07:55 AM.

JCalhoun
    My bad. That's a nice rig!

Also talk to a lot of the shooters and take notes of what they are doing.

Basic Member
    Thanks J. A lot of work went into it. Still going to complete a few more things, but figured I'd take her for a spin this weekend.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I had pretty good luck with the 168s I've been slinging.

I'm going to run them since I have them, but like I said this one is mostly for fun.
    How fast are you pushing them?

Basic Member
    around 2600. It's another batch of the Atomic Nosler Custom Competition in Lake City Brass. I also have a batch of the 100% Nosler version that's rated at 2750. I haven't put any of them through the rifle yet, but get 45min-1hr prior to the match starting for zeroing. I'll run some through prior and see how they group. This is a for fun match with nothing other than bragging rights at the local range, so it allows me to get some good controlled shooting in!
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Basic Member
    Well I'm not upset with how I did today considering it was only the second time out with the rifle.

I didn't place in the tip three, but I had some good runs. The match was unorthodox as it was part long range precision and part tactical. All shot from the prone the Range Officer called out a string of fire that contained 1-10 shots with multiple targets and sometimes multiple distances.

Biggest thing I need to do is gather better data for this rifle and I think 175s might be more consistent for multiple shots. I had a lot of first round hits, but follow up shots didn't follow suit! I am seeing where hand loads will be advantages.

Will be back again next month.

Basic Member
    Lonewolf the first match is always the hardest and after that so are the rest LOL. The best thing is just to have fun and learn from everybody you can. Like pay attention to the little things and concentrate more on the closer targets and don't worry about the longer ones. A hit is a hit and usually the only thing that counts in this game.

Basic Member
    Ya some days you're on and some days you're off. Today I felt a little off, but at the same time I was shooting off of "make shift" equipment because my order got delayed until Monday/Tuesday.
    I also think I may need a 9-13" bipod because I really had to scrunch behind my rifle for the longer shots to get the angle I needed. The range extends up the side of a hill, so I'll take it as some lessons in experience.

stangfish
    Biggest thing I need to do is gather better data for this rifle and I think 175s might be more consistent for multiple shots. I had a lot of first round hits, but follow up shots didn't follow suit! I am seeing where hand loads will be advantages.
    Practice. 175's or 178's for the 887 yds

So what ammo did you use?

Basic Member
    The 168s. Ya I know what you said, but I had 200rds available to send down range. The all Nosler stuff is definitely hotter than the Atomic loads. They worked better for the longer targets though just weren't as consistent as I would like pass 700yds.

They have some small targets that I just couldn't get precise enough results on.

stangfish
    To bad you couldn't "aquire" some M118LR or some Mk 316.

Basic Member
    Well the match results finally posted!

I almost placed in the top 3 too:

Match results for: 09/22/13
    Long Range: 50 points possible.
    Place: Points: Participant:
    1 35 David Rodreguez
    2 33 Ted T.
    3 33 G. Minor
    28 P. Pickens
    21 K.P.
    18 Hawk 76

JCalhoun
    Cool!

Basic Member
    Lonewolf, have you been to anymore shoots lately? Just was curious.

Basic Member
    Im currently overseas again, so not participating at the moment, I did shoot a couple of matches before I left, but mostly just tried to get to the range to send my reloads I had started to develope down range. Will definiteky get back on it when I get back stateside.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the up-date and take care!