who makes the best and why?

Honestly.................... There is no such thing........ There is no "BEST"...

You decided to barrel in a good "time"........ Today's barrel makers are turning out DAMN fine barrels. From button rifled to cut rifled......... Competition breeds then need for quality coming out of these shops.

BUT...

The bummer does happen from them ALL...

IMOP.... Typically this is what is produced... 85% Real Good, 5% Excellent, 5% Hummer "OMG".... Then the 5% Bummer/Not Real Good...

The Cut rifled makers are really starting to dominate short range Benchrest... Krieger, Bartlein...
Just doesn't mean they are THE best... But does mean they are turning out Exceptionally high percentage of better than "Real Good" tubes. I like Krieger 6mm 1-13.5 tubes because they are so darn consistent.. VERY important in the Short Range BR game...

Hummers are REAL rare... Got one .22PPC .100 short chambered Shilen barrel that is just SPOOKY accurate.
Also have a .22PPC chambered PacNor that has helped me yield "wood" from matches... Love that PacNor..!
As well as a Bartlein 1/4 GT barrel 14.0 - 13.75 6PPC that I have set my new personal small 100/200 aggs. Tracy & Frank at Bartlein are great to work with :)

Barrels is good these days,
cale