Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning for accuracy

Volstandigkeit

Stock is fully floated. Haven't looked in to runout. No parallax on this scope.

davemuzz
    Just to toss out a few other quick items to peek at: If your rifle has been bedded, be sure that only the back of the recoil lug is tight against the bedding. The sides of the lug and the front of the lug should not touch anything. Also, the barrel nut should not be touching anything. In addition, check (with a dollar bill) that your tang is free floated. If not, remove any stock material to have your tang not touching.

One other question: What brass are you using, and do you ever measure the diameter of the neck thickness of your brass?

Dave

Volstandigkeit
    Finally got everything to work in my favor. Seems it likes 150 gr Nosler green tips over IMR4320 more than everything else I have in the cabinet. Slow fired, as in 2 minutes between shots, it will shoot a ragged 1 hole 5 shot group at 100 yards if I do my part. Got it figure out just in time too. I won't be home long enough to do anything with it for the next couple weeks, before heading to KY for deer season.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volstandigkeit View Post
    I'm basing that on my .223 700. Shoots lights out, and won't rechamber the brass I just ejected.

Will look in to some heavier pills for it.
    If it shoots lights out, aim lower, ha ha ha.

drdonaldgrim
    How should I glass bed my new varmiter heavy barrel camo in 243? I have not shot it yet so maybe do that first. Don in Austin

Ackevor
    Glad you found something that worked. If you do want to find other powder/bullet/seating depth combinations to work in that rifle, you can do the OCW/Ladder tests. They can, and may have saved you some time and headache with your rifle.

If I have issues with any rifles after I have done a OCW/Ladder test and found a good load, I first confirm at the range with a fellow Army buddy to confirm its not just the shooter (me). I then proceed to check that every single nut/bolt/screw/swivelstud is properly toqued to prevent any abnormal harmonic vibration issues that may arise or change during the shot string. Add what davemuzz mentioned and you should have a resolved issue provided there is nothing mechanically wrong with your firearm and you arent resting the barrel on anything haha, I see a lot... I mean a lot of people make this mistake during my trips to the range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12