Thread: .308Win. Starter reloading kits.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Lee anniversary kit has about everything you'll need except caliber specific items like dies and a case length gauge. Their equipment though less expensive than most is quite good and loads some really good ammo.
    I would also recommend Modern reloading by Richard Lee as a very good manual to start with. If you read it all from the beginning up to the load data you will have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals and should be ready to start reloading. I would also recommend their deluxe die set. It comes with a neck sizing die that sure makes things easy as case lube is not required when using it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    The Lee anniversary kit has about everything you'll need except caliber specific items like dies and a case length gauge. Their equipment though less expensive than most is quite good and loads some really good ammo.
    I would also recommend Modern reloading by Richard Lee as a very good manual to start with. If you read it all from the beginning up to the load data you will have a pretty good grasp of the fundamentals and should be ready to start reloading. I would also recommend their deluxe die set. It comes with a neck sizing die that sure makes things easy as case lube is not required when using it.
    +1 with all of that. To add to what big honkin jeep said, using the Neck sizing die (called the Lee Collet Die) will also help extend your brass life and adds accuracy in my experience over Full Length sizing each loading.

Something you may want to consider is going with one of the Lee kits that includes a Turret Press rather than a single stage press. I started with a Lee single stage kit and later on upgraded to a Lee turret press. You can run the press as a single stage or progressively if you wish, and as you add calibers to your reloading inventory you can use the interchangeable turret heads to ease your switch from one caliber to another.

I started with Lee and have had no regrets with the brand choice. I only wish I would have started with the turret press. It would have saved me money having to upgrade later, and that's money I could have used to buy more boolits, powder, and primers.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM