Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FINALLY got my 260 together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    King have you ever used a suppressor before? Could it subtract accuracy? Dunno just asking.
    Don't think so. Accuracy was great with starting loads. I just don't think my rifle likes the higher charges of IMR4350.

hmmm...I knew the 4350 was a slow burner, but according to what fw conch mention,d, man, that is relatively slow. I figured that those 140,s would be flying at least in the mid 2800,s.
    interesting.
    good thing you put a 20moa base on your rig.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Im scraping IMR 4350. I loaded another 25 rounds and went back to the range yesterday. While the accuracy was better (some around MOA) it isn't performing how I want. Next chore will be finding some different powder.

roger that......
    And the madness begin,s yet once again....olololol
    Good luck......
    {John Wayne}

Try RL17 in the same charge weights that are used with H4350...

...or Varget. 38.0 grains +/- tends to work GREAT with a 139-142, although its velocity typically lags H4350-capable velocities by around 100fps.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    roger that......
    And the madness begin,s yet once again....olololol
    Good luck......
    Yup, the madness of trying to find powder.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Try RL17 in the same charge weights that are used with H4350...

...or Varget. 38.0 grains +/- tends to work GREAT with a 139-142, although its velocity typically lags H4350-capable velocities by around 100fps.
    I want to try H4350 because it's more temp stable. I think my uncle has RL17 but he is in Alaska for the next two weeks.......lucky *******.
    Im dying to get this thing stretched out.

Basic Member
    kingzero, I went back and read your entire thread, and a few things popped out at me. The donor rifle printed 3" groups at 50yds. Why?? Your first groups that you showed us were very good beginning loads,in my book, so I don't think there was anything wrong with the action. You necked up 243 brass. Did you then "fire form them"? Rather you did or not, those first groups were good, but sometimes necking up leads to "thin necks", depending on your chamber.? I can't get serious boat tails to group out of my 260 until I get out to 300yds. You say you want to "stretch it out"- do it. Before you give up on the IMR 4350, take those SMK's out to 300 or so and see how they do. It could be that H4350 will work better for you, but if IMR4350 doesn't, then I doubt it ? Good Luck-Good Shooting.......Jim

I don't know why the donor rifle shot so bad and wasn't concerned because it was a donor. The first groups were great but it was a starting load and I want some more speed. I have talked to a few others that can't get IMR4350 to group, but can with H4350 and vise versa. I am open to other powders, right now I will try what I can get my hands on without being raped by the powder pushers.

I didn't fire form them first just ran them through my FL die, trimmed and chamfered. Neck thickness is right at .015".......pretty standard from what I have read.

It may be the bullets too. I wanted some 140 A-maxes but couldn't find any. I know the rifle will do better with decent velocity. I just have to find the right combo.

and finding the right combo may get pricey and time consuming.
    I , as others have mentioned, believe your groups are pretty good.
    How about shooting what you have, I gaurantee that the groups your getting will infact get you out to distance. I think you,ll be suprised. and, you can hunt down more components in the mean time. thats what im presently doing right now.
    {John Wayne}

I found some H4350 and Varget this morning and my uncle has some H4831. More testing next weekend.

reloaders addiction: Testing newly develop,d rds..........
    load up a bunch of different charge and bullets weights...take the chrono....you never know....you may just hit pay dirt
    I hate it when I do that and find the golden load only to have to wait to see what the speed is for ballistic calculation.
    Good luck, hope you can get some more speed with accuracy
    {John Wayne}

I may have found the problem. I got some .040" wire to replace the factory trigger spring and when I went to take the stock off, the front action screw was a little loose. I didn't have the right bit for my torque wrench and just snugged them up. I meant to torque it later but forgot.

I don't know if it was really the problem but Saturday I had loaded up 10 more of the starting loads and they didn't shoot like the first ones. First group was ~1.003" and second was ~0.867". I hope to test my theory along with some other powder this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12