Thread: Jump to lands on a .300 WM Model 116

Basic Member

Jump to lands on a .300 WM Model 116

I just compared my magazine length (3.39" max OAL) to the OAL I need to touch the lands in a new to me 300 Win Mag model 116 and came up with a 0.230" jump required.
    Is this typical with anyone else? It seems like an awful lot of freebore.
    The max length to fit the magazine is the same as a Win M70 (300WM) that I have.

Basic Member
    I guess the question is what bullet did you use to make that measurement? Have you shot any at mag length? what were the results? I had a 300winmag once that I used 173gr pulldowns in, loaded to mag length. I don't remember how much the jump was but do recall thinking, as you have, that it was quite long. They shot great!

Quote Originally Posted by WYcoyote View Post
    I just compared my magazine length (3.39" max OAL) to the OAL I need to touch the lands in a new to me 300 Win Mag model 116 and came up with a 0.230" jump required.
    Is this typical with anyone else? It seems like an awful lot of freebore.
    The max length to fit the magazine is the same as a Win M70 (300WM) that I have.
    "Required" is a poor term to use. Remember a few things:
    1) Most people are idiots. They don't develop loads, they start a grain below a book max, or find a load on the internet.
    2) The longer the freebore, the lower the pressure.
    3) Mass production is not A specific value on anything, there is ALWAYS a range.
    If you sell a product, to known buffoons; wouldn't you like a little safety margin?

Casting several 223 chambers, and a few 308's with "SAAMI" chambers reveal NATO specs...
    Now as long as your headspace is in spec, and you know what YOUR chamber is, what anyone else has is really a mute point.

Never fooled with the 300WM, but Savage, some Rugers and Weatherby rifles are known to have large amounts of freebore.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite1 View Post
    I guess the question is what bullet did you use to make that measurement? Have you shot any at mag length? what were the results? I had a 300winmag once that I used 173gr pulldowns in, loaded to mag length. I don't remember how much the jump was but do recall thinking, as you have, that it was quite long. They shot great!
    The bullet i used was a 230gr Berger Hybrid OTM.
    I have not shot it yet.
    Just got done glass bedding it and not in a big hurry as I had laser surgery for a torn retina on my shooting eye 2 weeks ago.
    They told me no jarring for a week but I'm thinking patience may pay off in this case.
    I do realize that if it shoots great it is a moot point.
    My question, worded differently, is how much freebore is excessive? 0.200"? 0.400"? 1.00"? 5.00"?
    I know that Weatherbys are known for their freebore, I just don't know how much.
    Thanks everyone.