Thread: Help! Stuck Bullet!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Unhappy Help! Stuck Bullet!

EDIT: Didn't get the bullet out, ordered a new barrel. End of story. Upgraded the rest of the rifle while I was at it. Here is the thread on that: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...151#post199151

That's right, I stuck a bullet.

My dad handloads and I bought him some Barnes 150gr solid copper 270 bullets so he could put together some loads for me to go elk hunting with. In the process of shooting the various loads (I was on the 56.5gr of R22 for the curious ones out there) to see which ones group best, I had a squib. It must have been bad powder because I heard it fizzle out. It must have been just enough to push the bullet onto the rifling, because it didn't make it very far down the barrel.

So I tried beating it out with a brass cleaning rod- broke the cleaning rod. I soaked it overnight with rem oil and lucas oil. Next I tried hammering it out with a 3/16" solid brass rod. I bent the brass rod. Finally I tried hammering it out with a 3/16" steel rod- I figured this was the last resort. I bent the steel rod. I bent it back as straight as possible and continued hammering. Repeat about 16x. The bullet still hasn't budged. All this beating was done from the muzzle end since the bullet is so near the chamber; in fact, I can see the back of the bullet when I look down the bolt opening with the bolt removed. So frustrating!

I am getting a little desperate. This may be a once in a lifetime elk hunt for me and I want to be completely prepared well in advance. I scoured the internet for savage 270 sporter barrels as a last, last resort but have come up completely dry. The only option anywhere near my price range was the E.R. shaw kit (which is longer that I'd like. I preferred my stock 21" barrel) and no one has it in stock. I also saw the Shilen but they also don't have any in .270.

Thanks for any suggestions you can come up with. I'm going to try and call around some gunsmiths tomorrow, but am not sure what they'd be able to do that I haven't already. I think the fact that the bullet is solid copper is really not helping my case.
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 08-10-2013 at 02:26 PM.