Thread: OAL & comparator question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    moonbogg
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    Typically the bullet will be off in the direction which the muzzle recoils. Moon, what are you using for shooting rest? I just started shooting prone with bipod this year and have learned a lot of technique with the 223 to manage recoil and accuracy; decent success to extent that sighting in the 300WinMag was better control with the bipod than on the benchrest in the past. Very important to set up the rifle position using your front and rear rests so the scope is on the bullseye before you apply any muscle to absorb the recoil; the so called Natural Point of Aim (NPA); this is taught extensively and cannot be stressed too much!
    I use Caldwell sand bags in front and back. Just the standard, large, square shaped sand bag in front and little bunny ears in back. I'll check out the book mentioned in one of the replies here as well.
    Regarding natural point of aim, I didn't know that was called something and related to technique. Now that you pointed that out, I recall doing that sometimes, and other times not.
    Will having the front sling and bipod studs in the front of the stock cause an issue? It might be unstable since that's where it sits on the front bag?
    Gun is savage 12 BTCSS in .223 with Nikon monarch 5-20x44 nikoplex.
    Scope mount is DNZ single piece mount with extra wide rings (tactical version as they call it).

EDIT: Just watched a video of actual bench rest shooting. I almost spit my coffee upon realizing how clueless I am! I like huge learning curves though. Lots of room for growth.
    Last edited by moonbogg; 08-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.

n4ue
    One of the best things I learned from Warren Page's book was:
    Every once and a while before starting the trigger squeeze, relax your grip on the rifle and rear bag. If the scope moves off target, you are 'forcing' the gun in a certain direction. When you can get the rifle so steady that a relaxed grip will still be on target, you'll see a drop in your group size. It did for me, anyway!!!
    good luck

ron