To start off this is my 4th Savage build so I'm not really a newbie anymore but I didn't foresee this problem at all. I recently bought a model 16 chambered in 300 WSM with plans to convert it to a 243 AI Criterion barrel. The parts came in today including magazine box, follower, 308 bolt head. I had the action all set up in the Wheeler action wrench and screwed the barrel in. I placed the go gage into the chamber and screwed the barrel in until the gage touched what I thought was the bolt head. So I removed the go gage and replaced it with the no-go and the bolt closed on it. I found out that the barrel had just ran out of threads and that's why it stopped. Now I'm confused, so for the hell of it I put the WSM bolt head back on the same bolt and tried it and BINGO it works but obviously I can't use it. I had no idea that the CRF WSM bolt head was a little longer than the standard push feed 308 bolt head. A search on Midway USA found only the left and right hand push feed 308 bolt heads. The question is does the bolt head I require even exist or would I be better off putting the barrel on the PTA that it was originally ordered for? I wanted it to be a repeater for hunting woodchucks and use the PTA for a 7mm WSM bench gun but looks like that isn't happening.

Tim