Thread: Just ordered my first McGowan

masterblaster

Just ordered my first McGowan

Have a CBI coming soon in 300 Win Mag (I hope), been waiting a long time, decided to try out the McGowan on this one. From everything I read so far is they are close in accuracy, CBI might have a slight edge, but to me its not enough to wait so long for a barrel. The McGowan will be a 223 Rem Match 7 twist, my stock barrel in 9 twist has served me well, the last 6 months or so the groups have been opening up, must have 7 - 10 k rounds through this barrel since 2006, it started out at 0.5 inch groups, now up to 1 inch, no complaints at all on this barrel, this is the Savage rifle that got me hooked on Savage bolt guns, I was in disbelief with its accuracy when I first shot it, not even an accustock, but is a accutrigger.

Basic Member
    I have a mcgowan barrel in 6x45 and I could not be happier.The fit and finish were perfect and it is more accurate than I am.Very well worth the money.
    Ya'll hang on I'm gonna drive closer

I have a McGowan in .45 smokeless muzzleloader and even though I have only just begun wringing it out its showing real promise!

Basic Member
    I ordered a McGowen 260 rem barrel on March 3 and it's scheduled for delivery on Friday. Hooray!

masterblaster
    Mine will be here in hours.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    From everything I read so far is they are close in accuracy, CBI might have a slight edge, but to me its not enough to wait so long for a barrel.
    I have owned both, and can not say one is better than the other, they are both fine barrels.

masterblaster
    Mounted barrel today, looks nice in all stainless, B&C stock arrives today, will be shooting it tomorrow. If it shoots good enough I will take a rattle can and give it a nice coating of OD , black and brown to the whole rifle except scope..

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Mounted barrel today, looks nice in all stainless, B&C stock arrives today, will be shooting it tomorrow. If it shoots good enough I will take a rattle can and give it a nice coating of OD , black and brown to the whole rifle except scope..
    Were waiting for the pictures . . .
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

masterblaster
    I Don't know how to post them, in this forum. Send me your email and I will email them to you so you can post.

thomae
    masterblaster, if you are smart enough to put together your rifle, you can certainly learn to post pictures. Try reading this to help: The ultimate guide to posting pictures...so easy a caveman can do it!

masterblaster
    Here it is mounted on the new B&C, have to do some sanding to the barrel channel, I threw on a Sightron S 111 6x24 that I had laying around looking for something to do. Dont miond the wrinkled bed, I will give the wife remedial training on how to make up the bunk (she is x Army also).

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by masterblaster; 08-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.

DennisPA
    What contour and length did you get? It looks good.