Thread: 243 Catbird

AndyD

243 Catbird

Anybody have any experience with the 243 Catbird? Got my donor 110 30-06 and been wantin to build a hot rod wildcat out of it. It's been between the 22-284, 6-284, and 243 Catbird. Never heard of the Catbird till yesterday; I must say its blistering fast and very accurate from what I've read about it.

Why not just go with a 6mm-06 Ackley improved? Basically all this is except the catbird has a 35 degree shoulder instead of a 40. The 40 degree should give a bit more capacity and give you all the benefit of a true Ackley case. Just my thoughts.

You could go with something even hotter. The 6-WSM or the 6-SAUM. I have the 6-WSM myself and so far I have gotten 105 A-Max's up to 3650 safely, and still got a couple more powders to try. So far I have yet to find a load that shoots over 1MOA at 100yds and most have been hovering at .5MOA and under. Best load put 1st 3 shots into .167" with all 5 into about .4"

Gotta agree with stomp442, the 6-06AI should be a much better bet than the Catbird. I have no experience with either, but since they are so close you might as well go 6-06AI and gain a bit more room and steeper shoulder.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

AndyD
    Yeah makes sense. I've been researching the 6-06AI and it's got a few fps on the catbird. I have also been looking for load data on the catbird and was able to find very little. Think I may go with a Pac-Nor barrel for starters. They are a little cheaper and have read they shoot great. I want a bull barrel for it but unsure how to order it. I'm new at all this, so I don't exactly know what I need to do barrel wise.

I have a 6mm-06AI and shoots unbelievable, from a 26" 12 twist I can shoot 105gr amax's at 3600 fps plus, and 58 Vmax's 4600 fps plus,
    actually I got the 58s going a lot faster than that but will only admit to 4600+. lets just say there's 60gr + of Varget involved.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 08-08-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

AndyD
    Man that's fast. I've read other loaders would rather go with a blown out 270 case with 40 degree shoulder. I mean a factory 270 and 06 case are pretty much the same if I'm not mistakin.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I have a 6mm-06AI and shoots unbelievable, from a 26" 12 twist I can shoot 105gr amax's at 3600 fps plus, and 58 Vmax's 4600 fps plus,
    actually I got the 58s going a lot faster than that but will only admit to 4600+. lets just say there's 60gr + of Varget involved.

Dean
    man every time I read a post from you, you make me want to build a laser like that. some of the numbers I see are flat out insane! curious have you shot anything over 5k ft/sec that the bullet didn't just vaporize after leaving the barrel? i'd like to see what a 58gr v-max@4600 does to a critter. bet it just get's beamed into the next realm.

AndyD
    Fastest 2 guns are my 22-250 and my 338 lapua mag I wish they could get up there lol. But yeah I want a laser myself to hunt and shoot with.

AndyD
    I know what a 225 barnes ttsx out of my 338 will do to a deer and a possum though.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    man every time I read a post from you, you make me want to build a laser like that. some of the numbers I see are flat out insane! curious have you shot anything over 5k ft/sec that the bullet didn't just vaporize after leaving the barrel? i'd like to see what a 58gr v-max@4600 does to a critter. bet it just get's beamed into the next realm.
    Slayer the secret to not vaporizing is a slower twist, then you can send them as fast as you want and still get a tight group, I have four rigs that are capable 5000 FPS, my 220 swift AI 16 twist, my 22-243 14 twist and my 300 RUM, with a sabot and 55gr Vmax 105 gr of Varget registers 5540 fps on the chrono, the fist two shots were tight but the third was a flier, I only did that to see if it could be done, but I don't really want to waste a 300 RUM barrel on that, my 300 Win Mag will also send them over 5000 fps with 88gr of Varget.

Dean

PS: Lasers are a different approach to shooting, that you never get bored with.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Andy a barnes TTSX 160gr with a full case of RL17, will put you in the high 3000 just shy of 4000 FPS ask me how I know.

Dean

AndyD
    Oh I believe it with the 160s. A 338 lapua mag isn't slow by any means. I've only been reloading about a year and still learning. I have always went by the manuals for reloading. Like with the barnes 50gr VGs for 22-250; the load data only has 2 powders. I just don't know what powders will go with what.

This is a good article on to much twist.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...pin-a-problem/

Dean

Slayer you will appreciate this if you like lasers, that 300 RUM with a 110gr Sierra or 110gr Vmax and with 105gr of Varget, sporting a 26" 12 twist exit the barrel at over 4600fps, they don't start dropping until past 500yards, I have on many occasions asked other folks to shoot it, or if no one is available have shot it with out looking though the scope, just so I could watch the jetstream, I assure you, you have never seen anything like it, it's quite the sight to see, everyone I tell this to say what a waste, until they see it then they say screw hitting the target just keep sending them down range,LOL they only down fall is you only get a little over 60 rounds with a pound of powder, OUCH
    when I used the powder drop it seemed like it emptied have of it every time I lifted the lever, now that I have a chargemaster it seems like it churns for 15 min before I hear that beep, I guess that's the price you have to pay.

Dean

Basic Member
    cool thanks i'll give it a read. might have to add it to my list of wants. I like the idea of a fast 22 or 6mm the rum sounds like a bit much.