Thread: What bases are considered good?

alee18

What bases are considered good?

Hello folks

Im looking to get a set up for my new rifle 308 savage 10FP sitting in a B&C Medalist varmint stock. I'm planning to pair it with either 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper or 5-20x44 Nikon Monarch or 4-16x42 Monrach. So I'm considering to go with tested set up Burris signature zees rings and weaver bases. I like the idea of plastic inserts because it doesn't scratch the tube and does not need lapping of rings.

Now the questions is should I get something better than weaver bases for example: Burris extreme tactical steel 2 piece bases or perhaps go with a 20moa rail? (I dont plan on shooting past 800 yards)
    Is it going to be more secure and provide better accuracy compared to weaver?
    Since I would consider this rifle not a cheap set up with somewhat of a decent scope and rings, I didn't want to cheap out on the bases going with weaver if they are not on par with my set up?
    At the same time I would not be comfortable spending $100 plus on the bases along unless, I absolutely had to.

Or should I just go with Talleys one pieces base/ring for $45?
    Or there are better set ups rings/bases for less than $100 total?

Thanks.
    Last edited by alee18; 02-04-2013 at 01:13 AM.

yoter
    I used the Burris XTR 2 piece steel bases shown above along with Burris Zee high rings on my Savage Hog Hunter 308 and have been pleased. However, if it has the accutrigger (later model), it should be a round receiver rather than flat. Mine is a toploader, so I wanted more room than an one piece mount offers.
    Last edited by yoter; 08-01-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Basic Member
    Nothing wrong with Weaver one-piece rail; I have two 20moa ones that work well.

Team Savage
    You are on the right track with the Burris Signature Zee rings for all the reasons already mentioned. You could use either med or high rings with the 42-44 mm scope bell. But that will depend on how high your cheek/stock weld will be. IMO, it comes down to if you prefer a 1-piece base or 2-piece bases. The BSZR's allow you to use either without stress or damage to the scope tube. I prefer 2-piece steel bases with the Burris steel Signature Zee rings. I've found the Weaver Grand Slam bases (S46, S402), or the Burris Xtreme Tactical bases are the most flexible 2-piece bases for a Savage if you have a short tubed or compact scope. But with the longer tubed scopes you mentioned, the Weaver GS bases will give you all the room you need and cleaner looking lines since you don't have all those extra rail cross slots to look at . You can use the Burris Signature posi-lign inserts instead of a 20 MOA rail to get more elevation or windage adjustment.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-01-2013 at 03:57 PM.