Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range finders

Range finders

I'm looking to upgrade range finders. I currently own a Nikon 550 and am very happy with it but I need more range. The type of hunting I do more often than not requires shots of 600 plus. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems they all have some fairly negative reviews about not being able to reach the claimed yardage. Both of my brothers own leica range finders one a 800 that works flawlessly and the other a brand new 1200 that will only make it to 600 yards on house sized objects and leica gave him such a run around on the customer service end that he gave up messing with them and I don't even want to bother with them. So my question is what range finders do you guys use to accurately range deer to 1000 yards?

I think you'll find that the listed range for every single rangefinder on the market is pretty much wishful thinking. As I'm sure you know there are two types of target for ranging - reflective and non-reflective. Most companies will use a very generously estimated reflective figure in all of their marketing mumbo-jumbo as that's the figure everyone looks at when it comes to deciding on a range finder. However, it's the non-reflective specification that's most important as that's a much better gauge of it's ranging capability in the real world on real objects/targets.

That said, your best bet is to look for one advertised to have a range nearly double that of what you really need it for. For example, if you regularly take shots out to 600 yards then you'd want a rangefinder with a claimed rating of 1200 yards or better. Also, at those ranges you'll probably want one with 6x or higher magnification which will allow you to better aim the laser for more accurate ranging. You'd be surprised how easy it is to miss the broad side of a barn with a tiny little laser beam from 1,000 yards away when you only have zero or 2x magnification.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Yeah I realize this and there is a couple out there like the Zeiss victory and Bushnell elite 1600 that claim 900 on non reflective targets. I'm really looking for real world first hand experience on if they reliably do this.

I don't have first hand experience, but am in same boat as you. A lot of guys are using the leica 1600 and ranging deer @ 800+ yards, or the G7 BR2. It just depends what you want to spend. I will probably save for the G7, but if I needed one right now, would buy the leica.
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

I have a Leica 1600B and I love it! It will range pronghorns to 1100 yards in bright light and sitting in camp in the evening I could range a large rock at 1993 yards. I thought long and hard about this purchase and compared it to the Zeiss and the Swarovski, actual side by side comparison in both cases, the Leica was better than both.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    most laser rangefinders can be compared to having an employee who shows up when it suits him.
    i have a swarovski 1500 which is my second one. this is what most guys will tell you about their laser.
    ive ranged to 1800 yds. or i love mine it works great. yes mine will range beyond the max also.
    but dont count on that. in fact under about 800 id give it an 80% over 800 to about 1000 60%.
    thats not good enough for me. i want it every time or its useless as far as im concerned.
    i feel the leica is better than the swarovski due to a narrower beam width. but dont count on those either
    under some conditions. we still use non laser ww2 rangefinders for most of our ranging.
    if you can see the target you will range it with those. but they arent very portable.
    the best of the best among the lasers is the vectronix. the terrapin model will cost close to $2000.

Yeah not going to spend that kind of money on a range finder and not going with a leica that much is certain. As of right now I'm leaning toward the Bushnell elite 1600.

Toyoda
    How about the Vortex Ranger. Their scopes are pretty impressive, especially for the price.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    the best of the best among the lasers is the vectronix. the terrapin model will cost close to $2000.
    This is the hard honest truth in my opinion. I have owned several LEFs including Bushnell, Nikon, Leica 1200, and the Terrapin.

My Leica 1200 actually does quite well when compared side by side with my hunting buddies Swarovski. I have been exceptionally pleased with the Leica and I still own and use it. However for true long range work nothing I have used compares to the Terrapin. It is simply in a class of its own. I have ranged black cows at 1974 yards with four shots only varying 2 yards. I have also ranged trees at 2,860 yards. As I said, it's in a class of its own.

If you don't want to invest $2,000. I know youre brother had issues, but i would still recommend you buy the Leica.

John

I'm actually leaning toward the zeiss victory 1300. It seems to have glowing reviews and seems to be very simplistic which I like. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles a lot of these range finders are offering. I just need to know the range I can do the rest.

Basic Member
    this might sound off the wall to some of you but if i had to give up a pc of equiptment it would be the rangefinder.
    stupid as that may sound, for us and how we hunt it wouldnt be very difficult. fact is we might go for days without
    getting the rangfinder out. we kill lots of deer without ever using the rangfinder. reason is simple we hunt from stationary locations
    and the same ones every year. we have range cards made up for most of our spots. we did initialy use the rangfinder for making up the cards. most of our shots are between 6 and 900 yds. it would be hard for us to find spots under about 500 on the hills we hunt.
    for shots beyond 1000 the rangfinder becomes more important for us. i use the swaro lazer on spots we walk to if we dont have a card for that spot. if the vehicle is nearby we use a wild military coincedence rangfinder. it will range everytime regardless of conditions to
    10.000 yds. i would certainly reccomend the range card for those hunting the same spots every year. you can also shoot the distances
    and make note of your come up data. its quicker than using a rangfinder also and sometimes thats very important.

Williarj87
    Have you heard of Newcon rangfinders? I haven't done proper research on them yet; however they have a 2200 model for only about $700 bucks. Their 1500 model is under $400 bucks.

With that being said... you pay for what you get.
    Last edited by Williarj87; 09-18-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Basic Member
    i think the newcon might be a canadien unit? if so ive known a few guys having them.
    one word description. junk. the g7 is apperently a decent unit but also pricey.
    and it has more features than necessary.

Williarj87
    Yea, they are Canadian based. I figured they would probably match up close to the Bushnell elite.

Tjw86
    Newcon is a Canadian manufacturer. They supply units to the Canadian Army. I have never used one, but I am guessing the various units that are available to civilians that are sold for $4,000; $7,000; $23,000; $27,000 etc are probably not junk.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjw86 View Post
    Newcon is a Canadian manufacturer. They supply units to the Canadian Army. I have never used one, but I am guessing the various units that are available to civilians that are sold for $4,000; $7,000; $23,000; $27,000 etc are probably not junk.
    That would no doubt be correct. At least hopefully so.
    Im told that the VECTRONIX terrepin model which sold in the $2000 range has been or soon will be discontinued.
    They have much higher dollar models also. Problem with most lazer rangfinders is inconsistancy especially at longer distances.
    Your apt to hear my yadda yadda 1200 gave me a 1400 yd reading. If you say thats nice, but will it give the advertised 1200
    every time you ask for it, your will get no responce, meaning no it wont.

I have used the leica lrf 1200 and it was great. It would range deer to 945. I am guessing the one you had troubles with was the crf1200 they were junk. The new 1600b I hear is a good unit. I have a buddy that had the swarovski's and sold them to get the bushnell bino rangefinder. This year we had the bushnell 1 mile bino rangefinder and a set of the leica geovids side by side for a week of hunting. The Leica's were great but if it was my money I would get the bushnell's any day. They ranged the same as the leica the whole time. Once we got past 1800 yards the bushnell took over. We got them out to 2245 yards over and over again. We were able to range deer to about 945. We never saw one any farther then that.

Basic Member
    I also have a swarovski 1500 which is my second one. this one was back to the factory also.
    problem is im expecting it to read every time and it just wont. even tripod mounted it wont.
    ive used leicas and feel their better than my unit but not entirly trustworthy either.
    im hearing good stories about the "newer" bushnells also.
    i have a friend in kansas who last fall spent over 3 grand for a set of the new swarovski binnoc/rangefinder.
    the binnoc part is excellant but he's unhappy with the ranging.
    when choosing a rangefinder be carefull about what you hear. seeing is believing for sure.

D.ID
    My bushnell g-force 1300 has hit everything I have pointed it at out to a little over 1000 instantly and will usually go to 1350 if your rested. Small,light and for $269 You can't beet it for general use. For long range the elite 1600 or leica 1600.

Basic Member
    I use two rangefinders one for archer and one for long distance shooting. I use the leica 1600 for long distance shooting its a dang good one. Just point and shoot instant readings.

Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Yeah I realize this and there is a couple out there like the Zeiss victory and Bushnell elite 1600 that claim 900 on non reflective targets. I'm really looking for real world first hand experience on if they reliably do this.
    I can tell you, based on my limited experience with two Zeiss rangefinders, that they are pretty true in their range estimation. Mine goes out to 600 yards on non-reflective targets, which is what it's rated for. I went with a Zeiss after using my hunting partner's and finding I liked it.

Basic Member
    Not long ago I went searching for a new rangefinder for my then new Savage 110BA in 338LM. Doing a lot of research and discovering the really good rangefinders where going to always be out of my price range, I went with the Newcon 2200. I've been extremely pleased with this unit. I've had it out on Military known distance machine gun ranges in the area and the numbers have always been accurate.

http://www.adorama.com/NELRM2200SI.h...Fc1afgodtxkAbg

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colt56 View Post
    I use two rangefinders one for archer and one for long distance shooting. I use the leica 1600 for long distance shooting its a dang good one. Just point and shoot instant readings.
    I have a Leica 1600 and it is a good one. Wouldn't trade it. At first I didn't think so but I soon found out it was user error. It has a very small beam and it has to be on target. The center of the square is not necessarily the sight picture. I took it to Montana with me bird hunting just to get used to it. I was ranging Antelope that were silhouetted on the crest of rolling hills and I've come to credit that to the narrow beam. I think its like a rifle, its only as good as the user.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I have a Leica 1600 and it is a good one. Wouldn't trade it. At first I didn't think so but I soon found out it was user error. It has a very small beam and it has to be on target. The center of the square is not necessarily the sight picture. I took it to Montana with me bird hunting just to get used to it. I was ranging Antelope that were silhouetted on the crest of rolling hills and I've come to credit that to the narrow beam. I think its like a rifle, its only as good as the user.
    The narrow beam has advantage over units with a wider beam such as the swarovski. i dont agree using one requires the skills shooting does.
    But no doubt the more solid the hold the better they work. A tripod makes all of them perform better as it reduces user error. Some guys will
    sandwich them between 2 sandbags to reduce tremor. ive not tried that but im sure it would be a benefit for longer distances.

Basic Member
    I just mean that it is a precision piece of equipment and like a rifle if you don't understand how it really works then you can become very disappointed real fast. There is a learning curve there to really get all of the potential out of these. Once you get it, it will be very accurate even out past its stated range. I have ranged a bull elk at 1579 yds. Trees, rocks, bldgs. out to 1900 yds. With difficulty I'll admit, but I can get a reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast