Thread: More Bolt work on Custom Mod 10.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    triehl27

More Bolt work on Custom Mod 10.

So, I have the rifle back together, waiting on my EGW base, and SWFA Scope.

Today as I was playing with the feeding of dummy rounds, and the trigger (still needs work) I noticed that the bolt was really stiff after the trigger is pulled. It felt like a ratcheting sand grit feel lifting the bolt handle.

So I polished the contact surfaces on the bolt baffle, and the bolt handle, I took 95% of the tool marks off using very fine 600grit sandpaper and a flat sheet of glass as a backer. Did that for both contact surfaces. Then I noticed that the bolt had a noticeable hitch in the raising the bolt handle to I polished the contact angle on the handle. It was very rough.

Finally I moved up to a felt wheel and flitz. By the time I was done it was mirror smooth for 98% of the contacting surface. That helped immensely in feel. Both areas were very porous, and rough, with alot of tool chatter marks. I got everything but the deepest spot with the littlest sanding possible.

Then tonight I realized that another big contact area was the bolt assembly screw. So I polished the contact area on it. But to do one better I did the home made 38spec BB trick, along with a dab of tetra grease it came out fantastic.

Even if the BB flattens a bit, it is still a VAST improvement over the stock. I also polished out the middle to a mirror finish to reduce as much friction as humanly possible.

Lugs have been lapped and polished, so has the cocking pin. Everything that could be polished has been. I have found with Flitz over the last 10 years of using it, that it not only polishes but also imbues rust inhibitors to the metal. Over the last 10 years I have gone through 10 big 64oz cans of flitz on hundreds of guns, and have never had rust show up after a polish with it, even in sweat or moist environments.
    Last edited by triehl27; 07-30-2013 at 04:52 AM.