Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a range queen help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bobo
    Aight, that makes since.

JCalhoun
    That was Satsuma and yes the Gators was my "team". Football was lacking but baseball was quite good. Won the State 6A championship one I was there. I was rifle team though.

Several of my friends went to MGM and Theodore.

Saraland has it own school system now and it is so much better than the county system.

Where are you now?

Bobo
    That's right, I forgot. I had heard that about Saraland. That's crazy!!!

I moved away after high school to play ball at UWA and ended up in Sylacauga.

I'm kind of ashamed to say, but I graduated from McGill Toolen in 2006.

JCalhoun
    Why ashamed?

I have never been to Sylacauga. Any good ranges around there doing competitions? If so, might be a good place to ring out your bench project.

Bobo
    Naw, there ain't crap up here. There is one range that is 100yd in the Talladega National Forrest and a skeet club in Childersburg, but that's about it. There isn't any clubs with big ranges close that I've been able to find. There is one in Georgia, but I ain't riding 4 hours to shoot 700yds. I have a buddy with a good bit of land that we can hit a 660 shot.

JCalhoun
    The CMP is building a nice range in Talladega County near Oxford.

Bobo
    The CMP? Is that the one in Talladega? Because if it is, they have been "building it" for 3 years now. It is supposed to be a 1200yd range.

JCalhoun
    Yep.

Bobo
    That's what I was afraid of. Yeah, it is a ton of land with four wheeler trails all through it. And they have been talking about a range for quite a while now, but when you go out there, there is no work going on.

Bobo
    Ok, new question. I have an Edge. I want a different stock. I read online and look at all the different tactical stocks and when I read it looks like half will fit and half won't. I'm so confused. Do they make a tactical stock for the Edge?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Ok, new question. I have an Edge. I want a different stock. I read online and look at all the different tactical stocks and when I read it looks like half will fit and half won't. I'm so confused. Do they make a tactical stock for the Edge?
    Not yet.

You can buy a boyds or other laminate stock and modify the inletting for the axis.

Bobo
    Thank you for answering the question and not complaining because I have changed the subject again.

Basic Member
    Hey it's your thread do what ya want with it!

The axis are good platforms to build off of. If the stock availability was better I would have gone that route over the model tens.

Bobo
    That comment wasn't directed at you, but thank you very much. And I agree, the stock SUCKS!!! And you can't get crap for them either.

Basic Member
    Oh I know the feeling I keep telling myself my accustock is fine, I may buy a boyds tacticool and inlet it for my DBM but I can't seem to cut loose of my money! If I could get the vertical on the accustock I would probably keep them.

Bobo
    I have a buddy that runs a cabinet shop in town and I've been thinking about getting him to help me make a tacticool out of scrap wood that he has around the shop, but I've been entirely to lazy to do it and plus, I'm a machinist by trade and a welder by passion. Wood is not a medium that I know anything about. So, I'm sure I'll make it one day because that same buddy wants me to design a stock for him. I drew a couple of his tattoos, so he thinks I can draw.

Basic Member
    I'm in about the same boat wood is for hearing! Hey if your a machinist get after the chassis system. I started the drawings for one, my main thing with any stock is I HATE having my thumb under something like in a thumb hole or pistol grip. I want a chassis that mine can be over. I wanted the full adjustable ar style butt with a 1911 style grip that any 1911 grips could be modified to put on. I just figured by the time I had machine time and material in one it would be a fortune. I can do all the Welding and have a machinist buddy that can hook me up.

JCalhoun
    If you have machine & welding capability you could try making a tacticool stock from aluminum? Maybe add a dbm and adjustable butt plate and cheek piece.

Bobo
    I've kicked that idea around about the aluminum, and I can see it in my brain. And I could put the exact finish on it that I want. But aluminum is expensive as hell!!! I also am the same way about my thumb. It can't be covered. Has to be open. And I like the 1911 grip idea. That's awesome as hell. Get a matching set for the 1911 that is on you hip while you are shooting the rifle that has 1911 grips on the stock. I'm gonna have to incorporate that some how.

JCalhoun
    Skeletonized Al would be cool as all get out though and can be fixed with a TIG and grinder if you screw it up. Wood can't be welded back later. That's why I don't do carpentry work.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Skeletonized Al would be cool as all get out though and can be fixed with a TIG and grinder if you screw it up. Wood can't be welded back later. That's why I don't do carpentry work.
    My thoughts on the wood too. I have thought about buying a Whidden v block and build it around that. I wish I could find a fore arm extrusion that I like. But I think I can piece some ar parts too. I always shoot in hand or off the Bipod. Hmmmm.

Bobo
    Amen to that!!! That is part of the reason I got into metal as a medium as a profession. The only thing is, I'm burned out on it now (no pun intended). What do you know about McGowen barrels?

JCalhoun
    I've never had a McGowen barrel so no personal experience but they have a good reputation here on the forum.

Basic Member
    i've had mcqowen,shilen and cbi barrels as well as stock the mcqowen i had was a 223 with a 1/8 twist 26" varmint contour shot great only had one problem with it the throat was to short to shoot anything heavier than 75gr amax heads.i tried to get it lengthened but the gunsmith i use messed it up (he replaced it) it shot to well for me to throw away so it sits in my safe waiting for me to decide what to rechamber it into.
    i have a shilen that i'm in love with its a select match 30" bull barrel chambered in 308w 10-t its on my f-t/r rifle if i do my part right it will out shoot most i shoot against i've shot it out to 1000 yards with no problem using 155 gr pills.
    as for cbi i have 2 of them 1 in 6.5 creedmoor (f open gun) and 1 in 223 wylde 8-t or should i say had this one my wife has taken it over and told me to name my price so i can biuld another for the money cbi's shoot good i have more than once shot 1/2" groups @ 300 yds with it and my son has used it to shoot f class matches out to 700yds.
    if and when i ever shoot out the shilen i would have no problem replacing it with either another shilen or a cbi barrel in the same size and twist.
    one thing i learned is to see what the gun likes not what you like i tried to get my 308 to shoot bergers and lapua senars with no luck and was about to sell it (bought it used unknown round count) then dropped to 168's and it started to shrink the groups next was 155's and bingo it loves then.
    as for stock i have 3 boyds a tactical i opened up to old a hog hunter barrel that i traded another member here for and 2 thumb holes stocks.like them all . the other is a hs precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12