Thread: Black soot on necks.

Basic Member

Black soot on necks.

I have a question, what causes black soot on the case necks of my reloaded cases? Doesn't happen on factory loads just my reloads. Soot isn't on the shoulders, just the necks. Thanks Kyle.

Basic Member

Re: Black soot on necks.

The peak pressure of the powder is not right for the application. Could be you have too slow of powder, or not enough. Some cases indicate that the powder is not compatible with the barrel length.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

the explosion did not expand and seal the neck tight and soot blew back.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

I'm fairly certain that Benchmark is good for the .223.

The load was 24.5 grains of Benchmark, pushing a 55 grain V-Max using a Rem 7 1/2 primer. Thanks Kyle

Basic Member

ok,how do you fix that?

jlcpls

I'm getting sooty necks with 22.2gr H322 on a 50gr V-max, 222 rem. 22" barrel. (lot of 2's there)

Still grouping well, so I'm a little apprehensive to change.

Smokepole

Sometimes, w multiple reloads especially, work hardening of the brass will make it not spring out to seal as quick as it did w a new case. Sometimes new cases or annealing will make it go away.

Peter_Kirch

I'm having the same problem only with 30-06. got 168 HPBT hornady's with 48 grains of 4064. I have a standard M 110. I first thought it was from the lee factory crimp die rolling the edge of the neck to much.

maybe too slow powder you say?

RWO

Smokepole is right. Anneal your case necks and the soot will go away. It doesn't matter what your load is unless it's way below normal pressure.

RWO

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by RWO
    Smokepole is right. Anneal your case necks and the soot will go away. It doesn't matter what your load is unless it's way below normal pressure.

RWO
    My Lapua cases "sooted" on the first loading, and every one since then...................and everyone knows that Lapua obviously anneals their cases. Load is .223, 26.0gr Varget, CCI400, 69gr Nosler bthp.................real close to a max load in my 10FCP-K. So this is not necessary the problem.

Basic Member

It could be the combination of that load and barel length. I once experimented with a .223 WSSM. Using a 80 gr. bullets and H4831 and N560, and at 25" was getting soot down past the shoulder. Cut the barrel to 24" and only had soot on the neck, also picked up speed. Cut ot 23" and no more soot, picked up a little more speed on N560, same speed on 4831.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Interesting sharpshooter, trying to wrap my head around all this - from the various comments

1.soot on both neck and shoulder could mean the neck is not expanding in the chamber to form a good seal?
    2. soot on just the neck could mean that there is not a complete powder burn? Tune is close, but not quite there?
    3. No soot, could indicate a good powder burn and case neck filled the chamber to make a good seal?

Is this at least close? I have seen some of my loads with soot on the shoulder and neck (and they don't shoot that great), but have some that seem to shoot really well and those have just a bit of a ring on the neck.

This is a good thread...Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX
    Interesting sharpshooter, trying to wrap my head around all this - from the various comments

1.soot on both neck and shoulder could mean the neck is not expanding in the chamber to form a good seal?
    2. soot on just the neck could mean that there is not a complete powder burn? Tune is close, but not quite there?
    3. No soot, could indicate a good powder burn and case neck filled the chamber to make a good seal?

Is this at least close? I have seen some of my loads with soot on the shoulder and neck (and they don't shoot that great), but have some that seem to shoot really well and those have just a bit of a ring on the neck.

You got it
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX

So the question is....."If the most accurate load in your particular gun leaves a bit of soot on the neck, are you going to settle on a less accurate load so that you can have clean cases?".

Smokepole

I think a more accurate synopsis is:
    --soot on the neck and/or shoulder means the neck is not expanding to form a good seal

The causes could be:
    --incomplete powder burn due to barrel length, burn rate (bad combo)
    --overly low pressure loads
    --overly hard case neck due to many reloadings or poor initial brass temper

I have some instances on my 270 win after lots of firings on the brass. It never makes it past the neck. I'd definitely change something if it was making it to the shoulder.