Thread: Review Atomic Tactical Low Recoil Ammunition 308 Win 125 Grain Sierra Soft Point

brasse

Review Atomic Tactical Low Recoil Ammunition 308 Win 125 Grain Sierra Soft Point

I have a bad shoulder, been looking for low recoil 308 ammo. Got some from Midway, great reviews there of this Atomic Tactical Low Recoil Ammunition 308 Win 125 Grain Sierra Soft Point. My estimate is recoil is less than 243, about the same as 6.8 SPC.

Finally got to shoot some today, VERY impressive. Easily sub MOA at 100 yards with my Savage 10TR. Below is my first 10 shot group shooting pretty fast from my new DarkEagle 10 round magazine. Some rounds went through the same holes.

Next one is how I like to shoot, started in the middle, went around the outer 4 once, then did it all again. About 102 degrees and winds gusting to 15 mph. Normally I would have stopped and adjusted to get POA exact with POI. But this was fun.

Grandson had never shot the 308, here is his first and only shot. He is a little scared of the rifle. By the end on the summer I know he will be shooting it at 200 yards. hard to duplicate the first shot, it don't get any better.

Last edited by brasse; 07-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.

WOW! Your grandson's shot is an omen! I'm glad you posted this--I just ordered 500 rounds of the Atomic 168 nosler custom competition from Midway and was wondering about Atomic quality--but for prices not much more than brass I figured what's to lose? I looked the Atomic site and it looks like they do a good job with their loads--I'll let you know how it turns out when it gets here and I have the time to go to the range.
    Last edited by thermaler; 07-21-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

brasse
    It's not on Midways website now, but the Atomic Low Recoil had some great reviews. Both for the recoil reduction, but for the deer harvested. I looked at that Nosler Atomic, sure looked good. I ended up with some Hornady Palma 155 Gr Match.

My first batch of Atomic 168 arrived, and it isn't what I expected. The box says "NEW military brass"--but it appears to be LC brass up to ten years old. I'm guessing they are stretching the definition of "NEW" as meaning "UNFIRED?" Many of the cases have superficial corrosion spots identical to what I have in some old federal eagle 5.56 ammo I've had lying around for a long time. Some of them are annealed--some aren't. The bullets are definitely new--but there is a small deposit of copper scrapings on the neck edges which were either not properly chamfered, or not properly resized or maybe both. I'm a bit concerned about this stuff accumuling in my barrel--even more concerned if the neck wasn't properly resized. Nonetheless, I haven't come across any negative reviews about it's performance. Haven't fired it yet.

brasse
    Same type of reviews at Midway for the 168s. People cleaned off the brass and were impressed with the accuracy.

I didn't see anything about the neck sizing/finishing issues--I'm thinking it's going to need sanding down of some sort.

Spent the night watching All Saints Day and polished my first 100 rounds (actually got 102 in the box). Used grit mesh on the necks--definitely was a pile of copper shavings in my lap by the time I was done. about 3 bullets were pretty badly scored and I couldn't get the excess metal off. Unfortunately it's going to be a few weeks before I can get out to the range to test.

Just started cleaning my second box of 100--it too is mostly decrepit looking cases. My personal opinion is that it's impossible that these are new brass. One of the rounds I just cleaned has a split neck. So much for their exacting standards of individual inspection. I'm really starting to doubt whether this stuff is safe to fire.
    Last edited by thermaler; 07-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.