Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Hitting steel (or game) out to 400+ yards from a Striker or XP pistol will put a grin on anybody's face.
I've done it and seen the results and reactions from onlookers. Priceless!
it is funny at times to watch the looks on people's face at the shooting range. A couple years ago I was zeroing a new scope on what I now affectionately refer to as the Raging HMR which is my HMR Tracker. That rim fire in itself is fairly loud and if you never heard one or fired one it is interesting to say the least. As I was getting it close on paper at 25yd I saw these 2 guys who were younger but of age to own a handgun looking over at me. As I turned to look the one asks me, "Is that a 44?"

I replied, :No, why do you ask that?" He said, "Well, it is pretty loud."

"Yes," I said, "a bit loud. If you think that is loud wait until I break out my .22!"

They looked puzzled.

A few minutes later I opened up the large pistol case and took out the Raging Hornet and as I released the double locks on the cylinder and fed 3 rounds into it I glanced in their direction to see if they noticed. They were BUG EYED to say the least. They never saw a 22 handgun that size. I took my time and they had stopped shooting and I imagined that they had been reading some cheesy novel and got to the part that stated... and Mack Bolan unleathered Big Thunder... when I touched off the 1st round. Just when I thought their eyes could not have gotten bigger as they stared at each other in astonishment. 2nd round and they had materialized right behind me. I turned around and one said, "That is not a 22!" to which I replied "oh yes it is 22 caliber." and then showed them a Hornet round. I miss those days. If nothing else that thing was a conversation starter.

I can imagine you center fire Striker guys get that now and again when you are at the range basically alone and some noobs show up. I haven't had the 501 out to the public range yet but I plant to take it and the 503 out this week. I want to get the 503 swapped out with a different scope and get some late season 'chucks before I get distracted with squirrels. Oh the 501 is already an excellent squirrel getter too :-)