Hey guys. There has been a Savage 72 sitting on the shelf of a local gun shop for over a month. They want $199 for it. I think it is a bit rich. I would think $150-$175. I keep fondling it and I really like it. I should buy it but this gun shop and I have stopped dealing with the exception of things in the bargain bin.

Doggone it I like this thing though. Now is this a "Crackshot"? It is a falling block, is has the "semi lever" for lack of a better term. My buddy has a Stevens favorite that he kills pests with all the time. I am thinking this would be a sweet shooter with some CCI Quiet22.

Also 2 more questions. How can I determine the production year? I will try to remember to get the serial number tomorrow.

Lastly, and please don't vomit but is there a way to scope this thing? Has anyone seen a 3/8" dovetail base to take the place of the rear sight and mount a scope?

I wouldn't do this if it indeed was an older model. On top of the octagon barrel it says Savage 72. I just think it would be a fun gun and squirrel rifle.