Hello all,

I recently purchased a model 12lpv in 204. I have been disappointed in the accuracy. I've tried Hornady 32 and 40 grain loads as well as Winchester's 35 grain moly coated offering. I'm getting well over 1 inch groups at 75 yards shooting off of bags. The 40 grainers are the worst and the 35 moly coated shoot the best, but all are pretty poor.

A little background on the rifle:

I purchased the rifle from a Gander Mountain on closeout for a very good price. I'm not sure the date of manufacture, as it has a blind magazine not currently offered on the Savage website. I'm guessing it's a few years old. I noticed before buying the rifle that it had a ding in the crown. Gander offered to send it back to have it fixed, but I was told it would take 3-4 weeks. I decided to recrown the barrel myself to save some time.

What I've done the the rifle so far:
When I got it home I took the rifle down to action and barrel only and chucked the action in a lathe, with the barrel in a steady rest. I noticed at the time that the bore was not concentric to the outer contour of the barrel. It wasn't off alot, maybe .005 - .006 TIR, so I didn't worry about it. I recut a flat recessed crown, and then carefully deburred the bore exit by hand with a 90 degree pointed steel rod and some lapping compound.

After a couple of range sessions I felt that something wasn't right. The groups have all been poor but with no vert or horizontal stringing. Tonight I tried to slug the barrel. I started a lead ball in the muzzle and was only able to get about 4 inches in before it came to a stop. I don't how small the barrel gets at this point, as I was unable to bush it through with my cleaning rod. Looking into the bore, the barrel looks great and it cleans extremely easily.

Where I am now:
Obviously the barrel has a tight spot about 4 inches into the barrel. I have no idea how tight it gets and if it really indicates a serious problem. My theory is that I'm getting some blow by after the bullet goes through this spot. I even notice some black residue clinging to the side of the bullet holes in the paper plates I was using for targets.

I don't know where to go from here and am just looking for some advice. Are these guns really picky about the ammo they like? Should I try to develop some handloads or do you think it's time for me to get in touch with Savage. Or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks in advance.