Thread: Good results today with stock 10 FCP-K at 545 yards

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good results today with stock 10 FCP-K at 545 yards

I only get to shoot at 545 yards once or twice each month when I can get off work and drive some. I go to the same place and shoot the same target position and time of day so that I can continue to improve my fundamentals. This weekend I went out on Saturday and did not shoot under 5", but not over 8" 5 shot groups. I've done better. There was no problem with the gun or the ammo or the scope. It was me. I was never comfortable behind the gun.

Today, I went back and started from the same position as Saturday but was not comfortable. The 545 yard target is uphill and it helps for me to shoot from the sloping dirt portion of the shooting pad when shooting prone. I moved the pad down the slope some and was able to get quite comfortable for the last two groups. I felt the stock seating solidly in my shoulder after moving. On Saturday, I felt like the stock was low and I was only catching the top of the stock in my shoulder. I should have extended the bipod legs a couple of inches on Saturday to get a proper fit of the stock in my shoulder, but the neck angle would still have been better moving down the slope.

Here is what the shooters pad looks like after getting in to a comfortable position.

Here is what the terrain looks like from the shooter's position. My target is the white patch just above and to the left of the tip of the barrel.

And now the results when I drove up. 4 shots in the first group on the left, changed elevation dial in on group 2, and then fixed most of what I was doing wrong for groups 3 and 4, with no changes other than positioning and grip.

Final results, two good groups and I was still comfortable with no eye/neck strain after 19 rounds.

Savage rifle, Bushnell scope, Southwest Ammunition 168 all work great. Shooter needs work.

This is fun.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 06-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.