I recently received my rifle that I ordered from the Savage custom shop and I have a few questions. I chose the F T/R stock because I liked the flat for end and also the replaceable comb pieces in a laminate style stock. I have a question about a bipod attachment though. I see that I received what looks to be a swivel attachment in the box that slides along the rail in the fore end...is this used for the bipod? Do all bipods have a way to attach to my sliding rail? Must I use a bipod that slides upon recoil? I am just really confused about how exactly that whole deal works, having never owned a rifle with that style fore end.
Second question...what mounts/rings are suggested? Every rifle I have owned I have tried to get once piece style mounts like the Game Reaper/Dead Nutz rings and mounts. I am torn here on going with a picatinny style set up or not? My brain tells me no way those can be as consistent as a one piece base/ring combo...but I sure see a lot of them on precision rifles. What are the suggestions on styles and brands? I will be mounting the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 BTR-Mil.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.