I've been slobbering for a Savage or Marlin since the New Remington Quality Assurance bit me four times last year on new purchases. The Marlin is fast becoming known for accuracy, and of course Savage has always been a top dog in the accuracy dept. Though I've considered a Marlin XL and a Stevens 200 as a base to build on, I'd ideally like to have a stainless bolt gun in .270 or .308. And while I'd like to have a 16FCSS with Accustock, the Gander Mt. package is awfully tempting considering it's so much closer in price to the marlin and the Stevens. Here's what I think I know about it, any info appreciated with respect to these points or others:

1. They're the older style action (bolt release on right side) but otherwise identical to the old 110/111 and newer 116 actions. Should be just as accurate as anything else in the line.

2. The action being the same basic 10/110 action there are a tremendous number of 'bolt on/in' aftermarket parts available for it.

3. The stainless steel barrel will provide a small measure of durability over the carbon steel barrels of the 10/11 line without sacrificing accuracy a la chrome lined bores (usually not as accurate).

4. The Simmons scope needs to be thrown away asap for another Pentax (I have Pentax or Nikon on all my gear and love them).

5. The $499 price tag for a new 16/116 will be hard to beat.

6. The 16/116s in the package deals are just as accurate out of the box as the best 110s and 111s and newer 16/116s.

7. The 22" barrels for the .270 in the Savage line gives up nothing to the 24" barrels out there. All the work is done already for the .270 by the time it hits the 20" mark anyway and there will be a slight improvement in stiffness/accuracy with the 22" Savage profile over a 24" sporter barrel.

I am building a brush/scout gun in .270 on a Remington 7600 with a low power Nikon (2x-7x) and a 20" barrel. So I think a .270 bolt gun with 22" or 24" barrel and and a higher power scope to 16x will be a perfect complement. One for the brush and stalking, another for the beanfield and 'fun shooting'.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Better deals?